chapter three | documenting a rekindled friendship

another weekly update? who is this?? no i'm kidding, but i was able to get this chapter up just a week after again ;) now that i've made the major revisions in the beginning, i'm going to start incorporating some of the original chapters. but i do have to edit/revise them, of course, so bear with me on that (and when i run out of previous chapters). also you guys, a lot of people used to send me fan art/covers for a thousand words which was super nice to see how talented you all are! i just wanted to let you know that if you do ever create some art for this story, please send it to me! i'd love to incorporate them into the chapters like i did before :) so without further ado, i present to you chapter three! enjoy! xx

✦✧✦

"We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?" asked Piglet.

"Even longer..." Pooh answered.

- Winnie the Pooh

✦✧✦

"You realize you can't just spin it like a regular top, right? You're not 'letting it rip

"You realize you can't just spin it like a regular top, right? You're not 'letting it rip.'"

I glanced away from the red top. "Do you still own those things where you load it on?" I asked him after another failed attempt to spin the toy manually. When I tried again, it only proceeded to skid and hit Chris on the wrist before tipping on its side.

Chris shook his head, his lips twisting. "Sadly, no. Threw them away a long time ago. So, I guess you can't properly 'let it rip' then." Then he leaned in, dropping his voice down to a whisper. "But a true master would know how to do it anyway."

Scoffing, I shook my head. He chuckled in response. When I held it up and ran my fingers across the jagged detail, I couldn't help the faint smile that pulled at the corner of my lips. This toy sure did bring back a lot of memories.

"Do you remember the first time we played with our beyblades?"

His eyes twinkled with remembrance. "Of course," he said, taking it from me. "Damn, that must have been a really scary night for you, huh? Because of that guy who kept harassing you and the other girls at the orphanage?"

My chest tightened at the thought of Dean and that night. It was one of the scariest nights of my life, but amidst all of the dark memories from that night, there were two shining bright ones. The first one was, of course, meeting and making a new friend. Being in the orphanage, the girls and I were each other's friends. We didn't have any other opportunities to make new ones, so the fact that I was able to meet Chris was momentous. The other memory... well, that was Papa. Chris's face lit up when I voiced that to him.

"Isn't crazy? When you met him, you didn't know who he was going to be to you later."

I smiled. "No, I didn't. Definitely makes up for the scare."