chapter seven | documenting our promises

hi, friends. happy new year! and today, on jan 19, it's my birthday! i'm 20 y/o now. so this is my birthday present to you <3 thank you for being so patient with me. here's the next chapter, and please read the author's note in the end. enjoy the chapter! xx

shoutout to @cluelessbunny for the memory documentation cover! it's my first ever one for this story :)

✦✧✦

"A friend is one of the nicest things you can have and one of the best things you can be."

- Winnie the Pooh

✦✧✦

Chris: Where are you? In the cafeteria

Chris: Where are you? In the cafeteria. Come eat lunch with me!

Although my eyes roamed over the words over and over, my fingers remained hovering still above my screen. I rested my head back against the cool lockers, sighing.

Mrs. Ichikawa wasn't here today, so I was up on the second floor. During the days I couldn't eat with her, I sat in a corner nook that was lined with lockers and student made posters promoting current events or spirit weeks. Only a few other students hung around here during lunch, so it was quiet and secluded enough for me to eat and do whatever I wanted when Mrs. I was gone. Today was one of those days, and I had planned to eat up here and call London to prod her about telling me about this boy she had over last night. In thinking that, I totally forgot about the boy I had over last night.

It's been a long, eventful weekend. Everything that's happened felt like a dream come true, my daydreams bleeding into reality. Days have passed since Chris and I first started talking, and in a matter of days Chris and I have gone from distant to close, as if we didn't just spend the past five years apart. Despite all that, I didn't really know how much everything was going to change. I knew he had his own group of friends, and I had... well, Mrs. Ichikawa.

That's another thing, I thought with a bit of dread. Do I tell him the truth about Mrs. I? Even bigger, do I tell him I've developed a habit for eating lunch with teachers since middle school?

To others, it might sound lame. But my eating with teachers has never been something that's bothered me. I loved all the teachers I've had as company during the last couple years. It was only until Papa had his talk with me did I realize what was wrong with what I was doing. It wasn't the act itself, but the reason behind it. I may have lied to Papa about what I was doing, but I lied to myself about why I was doing it. Trying to blend in with the older crowd wasn't just a preference, but it was a way to hide from my fears instead. And the only other person who would know about those fears made my phone buzz with a call from him. Chris's name spread across the screen. The incessant buzz of vibration felt pestering. Tell him. Do I tell him? I thought as my thumb betrayed me and pressed accept.