CHAPTER LVI

– M A K A Y L A –

A familiar sight.

The many eyes of the world's upperclass. I hoped my smile held in place as I wanted anything but the many faces appraising the rich colour I wore. But it was partly my fault... I had to. After Matty had laid our designer's from across the city with their gowns I had stopped entirely looking at the fabric of the dress I now wore. It exposed more skin than I would normally allow near the chest but the cut and fit... the way it trailed behind like my very own Sector 1 cloak of Alex.

I concluded that since she couldn't be with me I could at least wrap myself in the very colour that grounded and made me feel safe. A subtle nod to the woman I loved. And it did not go unnoticed.

A waiter almost tripped over trying to get clear of me whilst staring with wide eyes. Either to avoid the previous incident or because he really did not have a poker face at all. I smirked as I passed him and crowds began parting for me. No one engaged in conversation yet. That was reserved until my father had swooped in.

I took this moment to wade through the seas of colour to look for my one friend before anyone else could... eyes followed me as people began turning back to conversations and politely gave me smiles and nods.

They also watched the train of my dress that flowed behind me a few feet like the rich drab of–

"No accidents so far." A familiar voice noted beside me. I turned my head to grin at Velron as he gave me a formal bow and raised my hand with kissing it. I appreciated the gesture not to make it too intimate.

"None had the chance, Sir Archeon."

"Picking up their jaws no doubt." He murmured, then his face became a touch more serious. "You are simply stunning this evening, by the way. I think I witnessed a wave of heartburn among the elders from Naberius."

I swatted his arm, still wearing my politically correct smile. My eyes also searching for a drink I already needed. Velron already reading my mind–flagged down a waiter and kept him at an exaggerated distance as he took a flute for me like a small bomb.

I rolled my eyes to the the candle chandeliers above.

"Cute." I said curtly, taking it from him and taking a steady sip. The bubbles exploded on my tongue and I took a slow breath.

"Has my Father shown his face?" I said to him lower as we made a slow and steady walk around the colourful crowds.

"Late, unexpectedly. The usual faces have arrived from far and wide." He drawled. "I saw Pertrice Gallavard doing her usual rounds with gossip–" I nodded with half an ear listening and my focus on my glass, "–Jullius Barbelo stirring the pot with inner Merridian's, Camilla Harrier from international relations doing her stunt with Margret that old bat–"

I snorted and took another sip. They all played the same games tirelessly. It took me less than a childhood to be done with it all. By the sounds of it so was Velron.

Velron masterfully swept us into the expected conversations after that since his Imperial highness was running late. The conversations were light and easy. With the minimal effort needed from myself since Velron was a killer in the game. My 'illness' was quickly swerved out of talk and moved onto enamouring stories Velron practically generated out of thin air about the Presidency. The hungry eyes of the information seekers ate it up.

We were doing round three and encountered the 'old bat' Velron had humorously described. Margret, greeted us with the niceties I had grown so tired of. It wasn't until she asked me a direct question that my gaze fell on her wrinkled brown eyes and held.

"Are you alright, Dear?" She seemed to exaggerate the dear slightly making it almost ironic, but that was likely the champagne talking. Margret Kelsey was not the ironic type. More the bland.

"Well, thank you Miss Kelsey." I told her politely with a trained smile. "The evening is promising to be long." I said taking a deeper drink.

Miss Kelsey chuckled heartily before giving me a knowing smile. As if she knew anything of what I had to endure tonight. "I suppose this young man isn't doing as finer job as he thinks." She joked, even jabbing an elbow into Velron with a bit too much force.

I raised an eyebrow and laughed when Velron choked a bit on a sip. Quite candid for the old bat... I thought watching Miss Kelsey's eyes turn a bit mischievous. She was now probably at the age where being bold was just for the thrill I summarised. Velron took it with a smile none the less.

"May I get you a glass of water Miss Kelsey?" He offered with a smile that said it was almost past her bed time hours. Miss Kelsey raised her eyebrows at him and gave him a firm pat on the head which made me want to laugh far too loudly.

"Would you be a Dear and do that for me? Maybe some lemon juice?"

Velron cleared his throat and right his hair that had been assaulted. "It would be a pleasure." He cut an amused look to me before, "Makayla." and disappeared back to the service staff.

Before I could go save my only friend tonight Margret had other ideas and linked an elbow through my own. "Do show me where I can get some air, dear. I could use a breather in this stuffy place." She said dryly. I chuckled and nodded to her. I had never noticed she was the same height as myself before tonight...

I stirred her carefully towards the glass doors to the private balcony and some staff drew them back with bows and respectful murmurs. The air was slightly cooler tonight and it actually did me some good. When the doors shut behind us, Margaret led us to the balcony edge railing.

"Careful." I murmured. Unsure of how far a woman of age should proceed near such strong winds. It felt like she could–

Then her body language completely changed. She dropped my elbow and slouched her elbows back against the balcony watching me closely. I paused and appraised her easy demeanour completely stiff.

"Margret... are you feeling–"

"As bored as you?" She quipped in a stronger, calmer tone. Almost humoured. I had never been more confused to this woman's mood changes in my life. "I'm not actually, Makayla. The evening has turned quite interesting." She drawled in that high but calm voice.

Perhaps she had forgotten some medicine?

"I can call for assistance–"

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." She told me factually and my blood froze at what seemed like a threat from an old woman. But before I could summon my personal guard, before the shiver could fully travel my spine, she pressed a finger to a spot behind her ear and her face literally fell away like a thin holo had been there the entire–

The queen of the Underworld now stared back at me with a burning pair of golden eyes and a grin on her lips.

"Alex." I murmured as if stuck in a dream. "Alex." I said again. "Is... is that a pencil skirt?"

She lost the ability to hold my gaze and let her laugh rush out into the wind beyond the balcony. I didn't lose my own though I was moving before she had finished laughing and wrapped my arms around her so tightly I thought I would suffocate her. I wanted to bring her closer. Kiss her.

She instantly relaxed into me, but before I could kiss her as deeply as I wanted to. Hold her in the way that hadn't been done in far too long... she swiftly turned towards the edge and tapping the underside of her jaw again. Margret reappeared and I almost flinched out of my skin. She snorted and half growled.

"Keep playing the part dear. Or you'll get us both killed tonight."

I stared at the face of Margret Kelsey and have never wanted to kiss that old woman more than I did right now.

"This is the creepiest thing you have ever done."

"Makayla, I'm wearing a skirt. Tell me about it."

* * * * *