CHAPTER VII

– M A K A Y L A –

I was drunk.

Not just socially tipsy drunk. Properly struggling to stand drunk. This was probably one of my worse ideas especially since I was still miles away from Sector 1.

I had no idea what time it was but there was no sun outside of Kuzo's anymore. Yeah, so much for attending that ball in style tonight. My father will have my head when he finds me.

At least I had been smart enough to "make some friends" like my driver had suggested... By that I mean finding the first group of guns for hire in the bar and paying them up front to protect me for the night. I wasn't completely mad after all.

But I had to try these incredible and exotic drinks!

And of course by the fifth one I thought it'd be a great idea to buy rounds for the whole crowd... People cheered and slapped me on the back, making me spill my drink and giggle uncontrollably.

Others watched me with hungry eyes. Either for my money or my body but my new guards could worry about that.

When I finally decided that I had seen enough for the night I stumbled to the dark exit. The metal door slid open and the cool air hit me. Rain had started to fall heavily but I was too drunk to notice.

I wondered down the road with my four hooded guns for hire. Most of the people were off the streets now so it was quiet. Only the glow of the neon lights shone in the dark.

A dark shadow stepped in front of me.

I would've flinched but I was too gone. But of course drunk Makayla had different ideas...

"Can't youu see I'm waaalking here you stupid moose?" I slurred at the hooded figure.

I wasn't sure but I could swear he just dropped a nod.

Five more shadows appeared from different side alleys in the street. My guards drew their guns and started cursing over the rain.

The shadows drew their own massive automatic weapons in response.

"Fuck this. Ain't worth dyin for some rich bitch." One of the mercenaries muttered. Then as if on cue all four of the mercenaries behind me ran off.

Well, shit.

The shadows closed in towards me rapidly and I tried to run but I caught my foot on the back of my cloak and crashed onto my ass. The rain was pouring all over me now and the hooded figures surrounded me in a circle drawing their guns.

What did they want? My money? Oh god what if they kidnap me or--

"Grab her." A raspy voice says.

But before any of the shadows touch me...

"Lovely night, wouldn't you say?" A calm voice rings out above the rain.

The black figures all whirl around and gasp collectively. I still can't see the source of the voice but they all bow their heads in unison and murmur the word "scorpion".

Scorpion? What the hell is scorpion?

"Now be dears and fuck off. All of you." The voice dismissed them quietly.