CHAPTER XVIII

– M A K A Y L A –

This place obliterated my expectations.

Every single inch of the cavernous rooftop garden was layered with tropical plants and beauty. When I inhaled, I did so slowly and leisurely loving the feel of such pure air. Alex took it all in her stride as if she had seen it a million times. I wouldn't blame her if she had...

She smiled every time I would grab her arm and point excitedly to an unusually coloured plant or marvel at the architecture. But I couldn't help myself. The place was completely surreal.

Alex led us deeper into the vegetation and soon the path wound so deeply into the plants we were practically inside a jungle. My eyes took in as much as they could and I trailed my hands along everything in reach. The waxy skin of the giant vivid green leaves seemed to hold my attention.

Then my eyes landed on the most beautiful flowers in the canopy above and I just stopped in the middle of the path with wide eyes. Alex soon noticed that I wasn't following anymore and came over to investigate. She strolled over to where I stood and followed my eyes skyward.

"Really? I didn't peg you for the flower type." She commented wryly. "Especially the hot pink variety." She mocked.

I tore my eyes off it and scowled at her. "Bite. Me." I stated as I crossed my arms defensively.

She just shook her head at me and backed up a few steps.

"What are you—"

She suddenly ran three quick steps and launched herself towards a tree trunk. The moment her feet left the ground she was thrust high into the air by some kind of propulsion thruster in her boots. My jaw almost dropped to the ground when she bounded off the tree and activated them again to sail her up and within reach of the beautiful flowers. Quick as flash she sliced out a hidden dagger and cut the flower.

She dropped to the ground in a crouch and held up her hand to catch the flower that floated down gracefully.

Alex stood casually with one of the beautiful flowers in hand and a smug expression. She strode up to me and placed it in my frozen hand. Then continued onwards as if she hadn't just done something impossible.

This woman... words just don't do her justice.

I shook myself out of shock and attached the flower to my shirt like a fine brooch.

"Alex--are you ever going to stop surprising me?" I said breathlessly as I caught up to her.

"Well, if you have reactions like that then most definitely not." She confirmed.

I shook my head. "Let me guess... your engineers had a hand in your magical shoes as well?"

She threw me a wink and didn't respond.

"We're going to have to talk to them about getting me something modified..." I joked.

She turned to me with a completely serious look. "Just name it and I'll have them create a prototype by the end of the week." she stated with a spark of mischief in those golden eyes.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "They don't mess about."

"They wouldn't be my engineers if they did." She snorted.

We emerged out of the path once more and took in the grand open space and glass roof that exposed the sky. It was one giant green house and I simply loved every second of it.

"Thank you, Alex." I murmured as I continued to watch the sky and plants above us. She knew I meant much more than just the flower and the promise of gifts. She came to stand behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist. I sighed and leant into her hold.