CHAPTER II

Word soon spread of the aspiring gang leader's demise.

The governing body that enforces the law over the city known as, The Silver Sun, swore to take action against those responsible for the murders. But the people all knew that was a simple assurance for the upper classes.

They needed to maintain the appearance of city wide control. The dwellers of the poorer sectors known as, The Underworld, knew who the city truly belonged to. From sectors 11 all the way to 52, each and every inhabitant knew that they belonged to The Scorpion and her enforcing gangs, guns for hire and assassins.

We are collectively known as Division 52. Named after the final Sector and arguably the most lethal and savage area of the city.

Which is exactly why I named my gangs after the number.

I swept through the crowded streets with my crimson cloak billowing behind. Not even the patrolling Silver Sun guards batted me a second look. If my towering private guards weren't enough of a hint, the trade mark scarlet cloak always was.

We stormed through the shadowed streets turning more corners and eventually descending into the underground network of more unsavoury streets and personnel. Here you could find anything under the sun in terms of illegal products, counterfeit documents and weapons on the black market.

Here is where I made my home. My keep. My castle.

It was physically crawling with my own guards, assassins and gang members. They all dropped nods and murmured respect as I passed. Here weapons were not concealed but you didn't even bring a butter knife unless you worked for me or you wanted a swift death.

Two guards already had the colossal doors open to my home before I arrived.

I dropped a nod to the giant men—armed to the teeth with plasma guns and knives—before striding through. I swaggered down the decadent hallways that were carpeted in plush rugs and adorned with oil paintings. I'll admit it wasn't much to look at from the outside... But within, it was a masterpiece in its own right.

Every inch of it was furnished in luxuries from all over the planet. Furniture, curtains, sculptures and even lights were brought to my specifications.

Some assassins in the hall paused their conversations to give me a sharp nod of respect before continuing again. My second hand man that had been with me tonight suddenly materialised at my ear. His dark hood shadowed his tattooed face as he murmured something to me.

"Perhaps you would allow me to continue interrogating the merchant tonight, Scorpion." His low voice asked in question. He was keen to find answers from the prisoner now sat in one of my cells.

If there was one thing I admired about him, it was his dedication to our total control of the Underworld. "Do as you will. Come to me when you find what we need." I stated.

He dropped his head in respect and made to walk away to the cells below.

"Proximo." I said before he disappeared. He turned immediately awaiting my words.

"Make him suffer." I murmured quietly.

His wicked smile was enough to convince me that the interrogation would not last long. With that I continued to the main hall of my keep with my personal guards close on my heels.

A pair of large oak doors were swept back for me as I walked down the stone hall. Then I was inside the true heart of my underworld. The colossal room towered in height and length. There were rows of tables with holo-screens, datastores and other pieces of surveillance tech. Men and women littered the room by the dozen, all focused on analysing threats, new opposition and the regular trade of my own products.

The room fell quiet only for a moment before all eyes returned to their work.

One of my analysts quickly darted towards me with a small holo-screen that summarised the days profits and activity. I took it from the shaking tiny man as I continued my stride towards my throne upon the set of steps at the back of the room. I waved a hand out to indicate that my personal guard was relieved for the evening. They all dropped nods before dispersing into the room or out entirely.

I stepped up to the grand chair that dripped intimidation. It had two imposing pillars below the arms and a black marble back. The rest was cushioned in a charcoal grey and was edged with five silver daggers along the top.

A dagger for each of the previous underworld rulers. Each one dead at my own hand.

I dropped my eyes to the screen in my hand.

Profits increased by 3.4% in sectors 35 and 36, loss of product in sector 47, shipment of guns—

My reading was interrupted by the oak doors to the hall bursting open. One of my scouts panted heavily as he jogged towards me. His haggard expression also held fear as he drew nearer to my perch.

I gazed at him coldly. This had better be good. Bursting in here and slobbering down the hallway was hardly any way to invite a conversation that ended well.

"My commander." He dropped onto a knee and bowed his head.

At least he maintained respect.

He raised his forest green eyes to my face slowly before speaking. "I would not disrupt you like this if it was anything other than imperative–"

"Get on with it." I said in a low voice.

His face paled and he nodded frantically, throwing his short dirty blonde hair around. My god if he doesn't spit it out soon I'm going to take out his tongue...

Fortunately for him he began.

"Fifteen bodies of our men have been found dead in sector 10." He stated quickly. I froze in my seat completely wordless. Fifteen? One or two yes that was plausible. Caught up in a fight or dirty dealings but fifteen? And so far from the Underworld in the upper sector. Impossible.

"Explain." I gritted out glaring intently down at the boy.

The scout can't of been a day over sixteen and he had started to visibly shake at my hostility.

"When we bribed the soldiers at a Silver Sun station tonight they g-gave us the reports from today. It showed images of our men branded with Silver Sun crests. I have the information here S-scorpion." He stuttered handing me the holo-screen.

I snatched it from him and he flinched at the proximity. I scanned my eyes over it quickly before flicking them back up to the scout.

"Who else knows of this?" I almost growled.

"Just myself. I showed no one, Scorpion, I came here as soon—"

"Enough." I stated.

He shut his mouth with a snap. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that he was telling the truth. The boy could hardly breathe in my presence.

"Bring me Proximo." I demanded. His face broke into relief as he bowed his head and almost tripped down the steps to fetch my second in command. A trip to Sector 10 had not been in the cards but the Silver Sun were serving up an undeniably, bloody invitation.

So be it.