CHAPTER XIV

– M A K A Y L A –

Days passed in uneventful lifelessness. 

Nights were even worse... Sleep was impossible when all you saw when you closed your eyes was a pair of burning golden eyes. The crime lord was haunting my every moment. From the way she had waltzed into the most secure building in Merridian to the casual way her guards flaunted their disregard for my father's power.

On the fifth day I actually slumped into my breakfast. My father barked at me and widened his eyes like I'd lost my senses. He wasn't far off...

"What on earth has become of you, Makayla?" He demanded over the vast, glass dining table. "You have been acting like a mindless wretch all week." He finished, laying his holo-screen down and eyeing me with disgust.

Ugh, can we not.

"Studying and things I suppose..." I almost slurred tiredly. 

"What might I ask?" He practically sneered in response.

That roused a spark within me despite myself. "I don't know, maybe something more useful than mapping out my outfit for the entire day." I retorted dripping sarcasm.

He slammed a fist on the glass making me flinch.

"How dare you mock me. You have no idea of the importance this position holds, the image that must be kept. No idea."

"Maybe I don't want to know!" I shouted throwing my head up to face him. "Or are wants and dreams merely a child's folly?" I laughed humourlessly.

He went so still. I could even here my own heart beat in fear and anger.

After a painfully long moment of silence my father ruined it and snapped to his feet, placing two hands on the table. "I will stand for this no longer. You are a woman now, not a child. An Emperor's daughter no less." He finished with a growl. "GUARD!" 

One of the imperial guard's came rushing to his side.

"You are to take her to Madame Courio's once more so she may learn correct etiquette." He paused, glancing to me, expecting a fight.

I really just didn't give a shit anymore.

The guard waited by the door expectantly. I didn't even give my father the satisfaction of a single emotion. I don't think I could even muster anything in this state...

* * * * *

Fate had other ideas for my trip to Madame Courio's. No. Scorpion, had other ideas.

It seemed like the crime lord had run out of patience for my answer. Of course, I was never going to accept such a request to go back with. Even if I wanted to, I would never make it outside the reach of my personal guard. Not again.

I suppose no wasn't really an acceptable answer in her world.

Still within the confines of Sector 1, I was glaring tiredly out the window when it happened. The fusion craft jolted sharply to the side and the collision response thrusters had to burst to life. I slammed into a nearby guard in the backseat. But before any of us could sit upright, a thump sounded on the roof.

They can't be...

A bright light flared from the roof in a circular motion no longer than a second before the roof was ripped away entirely. A large armoured figure stood masked upon our roof. Three of my guards open fired.