Chapter 20 ~ The Heat

Start from the beginning

            “What do you think I know that we haven’t told Damon?” She raised her eyebrows at me and gave me a crooked grin.

            “This Big Day,” I said and immediately the grin dropped and the she-rogue rolled her eyes. “When is it?”

            “It’s fucking hilarious how you think Doyle would tell us,” she rolled. “We were supposed to give you the message, and you were supposed to kill us.”

            “Is that what Doyle said?” I snickered darkly. Really, that bastard thought we’d be as straightforward as that? Hear what they had to say then split their throats? Doyle really didn’t know who he was messing with, did he?

            “That’s what we were told,” she half sung, her gaze meeting mine with force.

            “Luna,” Fritz called and I knew my five minutes were up. I stared hard at the rogue for a moment longer before slowly standing, walking around the pair and towards the stairs.

            “If Damon doesn’t kill them tonight, do it. There’s no need to prolong this,” I ordered and Fritz nodded, glancing toward the mutilated duo. I glanced back once before climbing the stairs, leaving our personal little torture chamber.

Damon’s P.O.V.

            “Next!” I yelled, watching a member of my pack run towards Cameron. The packs were out on the clearing in the formation of a ring. Cameron was in the center, taking on opponents. I watched from the side, observing the series of brawls. A circle had been drawn in the dirt. The objective was to overcome and force the opponent out of the circle. Cameron, so far, was the reigning champion.

            The packs howled and yelled, cheering on my pack member. He had pushed Cameron back a few feet, but had yet to knock him down or throw him out.

            “When did training become fight club?” KC appeared beside me, eyes trained on the scuffle. I glanced down at her, somewhat glad to see her in yoga pants and a shawl and not workout clothes. It took more than enough persuasion and bickering, but she reluctantly agreed to avoid physical stress and conflict.

            “I’m trying something different,” I replied. “This way, the pack can watch what’s successful and what’s not. They’ll take note on what to do and what not to do.”

            “I see,” she hummed, distracted by the fight. I noticed her frown when Cameron literally threw his opponent out, the circle breaking to avoid the out wolf. Before I could call next, a flash of red caught my attention and something shot into the circle. I was almost surprised to see it was Amber. I glanced towards Dan who looked taken aback, eyebrows raised and eyes wide.

            “Go Amber,” KC chuckled from beside me, very amused and fascinated. The beta had a wild grin on her face as she ran towards Cameron. The alpha had his arms raised in defense when Amber suddenly dropped, using her momentum to slide along the ground. Cameron was taken off guard when Amber crashed into his shin, knocking him off balance. He fell forward, his falling body missing Amber for she was behind him. She pounced on him, wrapping her arm around his neck, pressing her other hand against his head. She almost had him finished when Cameron bucked and brought Amber over his head. She hit the ground with a thud, but before Cameron could get to his feet and attack, Amber pushed against the ground and jumped to her feet. Flawlessly, she spun and kicked her leg up into Cameron’s jaw. He staggered back, surprised by the blow. Amber wasted no time using his shock to her advantage giving one last intense blow. She took two great strides towards him and jumped, bringing both feet up and out. It was a perfect blow to Cameron’s stomach. He doubled over and fell back, stumbling out of the ring.