Chapter 13 ~ The Nightmare Plague

Really hope this is acceptable!

Sorry for the tragic delay, y'all! Truly! Not only did I have quite a bit of writer's block (writing and rewriting the chapter about a bazillion times) I've also been trying to maintain a real life that has hit a small rocky patch. But nothing serious. However, I do really hope to TRY and updated sooner :) Love y'all!

Also, this chapter is also dedication to someone super cool, like the last chapter. Her name, if you don't already know, is KellyLM and she is one of the most talent writers I know, as well as the coolest. If you don't know her or any of her thrillingly awesome stories, I think you should get yourselves acquainted with her genius ;P

Anyway, seriously hope you find this chapter acceptable! I myself... not quite sure...

Aw well,

KC Blares

**************************************************************************************

Chapter 13 ~ The Nightmare Plague

KC’s P.O.V.

            “Hello again, sweetheart.” Twigs and rocks broke the skin on my feet. I was nearly blinded by the darkness, but sight was gone from one eye, caked with blood. I could feel Damon running beside me, his hand urging me on through the thicket. My legs were weak and I found it harder every stride to keep going.

Behind me, howls, snarls, and ferocious growls echoed between the trees, chasing me. Damon told me not to look back and pushed me onward, away from the sounds.

            “Where are you going, sweetheart?” His monstrous voice sent shivers down my spine, vibrating through my body. Unable to see it lying ahead of me, I tripped over a log, rocks tearing at the skin on my knees and the rough bark raking down my shins.

            “KC,” Damon gasped, grabbing for me. Before I knew it, I was in Damon’s arms and we were running again through the brush. I gripped Damon’s shoulders tightly, allowing him to carry me despite my embarrassment and pride.

            “I can hear you, sweetheart,” his voice sang, trickery and smugness coating his words. I clutched Damon tighter, his hammering heart echoing in my ears.

            “I can smell you, sweetheart.” He sounded closer, almost like he was breathing in my ear.

            “I can see you, sweetheart.” Damon swallowed what sounded like a yelp as he fell forward, dropping me and letting me roll across the dead leaves. I hastily got to my hands and knees, but Damon wasn’t moving. Why wasn’t he moving?

            “Damon,” I called weakly, crawling towards him. I was about to reach him when-

“KC!” I gasped for breath as I felt Damon gripping my arms, but I was too afraid to open my eyes. I closed them tighter and shrunk back into the sheets; the ones drenched in sweat.

            “KC, open your eyes for me, baby.” I felt one of Damon’s hands cup my face, his palm cold against my burning cheek. His body was hovering over mine; I could feel him over me, his breath fanning my face and his living body radiating heat. Slowly, I opened my eyes; Damon’s vibrant brown ones were staring at me with grave concern.

            “Damon.” His name was a weak whisper that came out from between my dry lips. Cautiously, I reached up and touched his face, warm tendrils teasing my fingertips. “You’re alright,” I breathed reassuringly, more to myself than to him.