Chapter 20 ~ The Heat

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody :) 

A little gift from me to you

Enjoy :)

*******************************************************************************

Chapter 20 ~The Heat

KC’s P.O.V.

The stairs moaned in protest underneath my feet. The stone pressed against my palm was cold, hard, and rough, a reflection of the atmosphere I just snuck into. I stepped onto the concrete floor, cold under my bare feet. Beneath the flickering light bulb in the center of the room sat the two rogues, tied to wooden chairs and sitting back to back. Their heads hung low, clothing torn and bodies twisted. Blood pooled on the floor around the chairs, staining the grey concrete black.  I took a step forward but a mass stepped in front of me, blocking my path.

            “I’m sorry, Luna,” Fritz said. “But Damon gave me strict orders not to let you near them.” I looked up at him, almost testing him with my gaze. Then, I broke into a smile, the sweetest one I could muster up.

            “He doesn’t have to know, does he?”  Fritz looked at me for a moment, stern gaze wavering slightly. He glanced towards the door behind me and back at the rogues.

            “Five minutes,” he stated in a way that denied negotiation. Giving him an appreciative nod, I moved around him towards the bloodied guests. Cautiously, yet with authority, I approached the rogues. I stood directly in front of the closest one and crouched in front of him. Blood dripped from a gash on his forehead, adding to the pool on the floor.

            “It’s Erik, right?” I asked despite my knowing the answer. Weakly, the mutt raised his head, revealing the mess that was his face. One eye was swollen shut, surrounded with a red and purple halo. Deep cuts tore through his right cheek and forehead, painting his face dark crimson. However, I could make out dark bruises along his jaw and cheeks; I had to assume blows from Damon.

            “Well if it isn’t the Luna. Looking good for a pregnant lady,” he coughed, blood spraying from between his cracked lips. As he spoke, I noticed teeth missing, his words a struggle to form. At the mention of the pregnancy, I placed my arm across my stomach. It’d been almost three weeks since Janna’s confirmation and I was showing, but not enough to tell through the black shawl I had wrapped around me.

            “Who told you of the pregnancy?” I questioned coldly, asserting my power in the conversation. He chuckled, a cough ripping through it, and a pained expression flashing across his wrecked features.

            “Take a wild guess, Luna,” the other rogue spat, voice raspy and forced.

            “How’d Doyle know?”

            “You really think he’d tell us?” Erik hissed.

            “We’re just the runts of the pack,” Julie added sourly.

            “The messengers,” Erik continued, once again coughing blood. His head dropped again and a whispery moan left his parted lips. I stood and moved around to the other side, facing Julie now. Her head was leant back against Erik’s shoulder blade. She didn’t look as bad as Erik, but her lip was split pretty badly and bruises patterned her body.

            “Alright, Julie, let’s talk. Girl to girl,” I stated, forcing a smile. She laughed, but it sounded sickly and strangled.