Chapter 19 ~ The Spark

Chapter 19 ~The Spark

KC’s P.O.V.

I walked out of the bathroom to meet the animalistic sounds of primal anger and insane cackles. Glancing towards the bed as I ran towards the open balcony, I noted that Damon was gone. Instead, I found him below, his clothes ripped, a sickly looking man in his grip and an equally grotesque woman laughing at his feet. He pulled his arm back and punched the man over and over again; all the while he continued to laugh that nails-on-a-chalkboard cackle. Behind him, the fifteen-odd scouts growled and snarled at the intruders, hackles raised and ready to pounce.

            Hands gripping the railing, I gazed down at Damon as he nearly beat one of the rogues to death, their psychotic laughs reaching my ears. He dropped the one in his hand and I heard him order a few of the scouts to take them to the cellar. I watched the cackling rogues as they were dragged by their arms, the scouts clearly not being careful.

            I looked down at Damon just as he looked up at the balcony, his ferocious eyes meeting mine. His features softened as I looked down at him in question, my eyes bewildered. He took in a deep breath before slowly letting it out, calming his wolf. Knowing there was something more to these intruders, I ran back through the Suite and sprinted out the door, flying down the many stairs before reaching the grand oak doors that made up the front entranceway. To my surprise they were already open, meaning that the four scouts had already dragged the pair of rogues down to the cellar. But that’s not what shocked me the most.

            There was a body lying on the front steps. Taylor and Ali flanked it, their amber eyes studying the mutilated corpse. I had to put a hand over my nose and mouth as I gasped, taking in the strong stench of decay.

            “Ali, what happened?” I asked, demanding the whole story.

            “We were patrolling when we caught the two rogues breaking into the territory with the body. We chased them to the house where we cornered them. That’s when Damon tore in,” Ali informed me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Damon make his way towards us, his gaze, without a doubt, aimed at the pile of skin and bones.

            “Taylor and Ali go find Janna and Ben,” I ordered, the scouts nodding before trotting past me into the house.

            “You think it’s one of the town’s people?” Damon questioned, glancing towards me.

            “Don’t you?” The pale, bloody mess in front of us was obviously human, but the arms, legs, and face, or what was left of a face, were twisted into impossible angles, forcing me for a moment to second guys whether or not it really was human. It was the scent, however, that confused me the most. Underneath the gory stench, I barely smelled human and wolf.

            “What the hell happened to him… or her?” Damon murmured as he kneeled beside the corpse, straining his eyes as he studied it.

            “That’s what I’m hoping Janna or Ben will tell us,” I breathed, staring at the morphed face.

            “Luna, I’d advise you to stand back,” Janna said from behind me. I looked back over my shoulder, watching the healer approach with Ali flanking her. “I don’t think breathing in fumes of death will do the baby any good.”

            Stepping back, Janna took my spot and kneeled beside the body, repositioning it so that she could get a better look at the face and front side. I stood behind her, watching her movements and waiting, rather impatiently, for some kind of report.