Chapter 9 ~ Like Broken Glass

Chapter 9 ~Like Broken Glass

Damon’s P.O.V.

Carefully I slid under the sheets, keeping my eyes on KC. She glared harshly at me from her side of the bed, her arms crossed across her chest and her body propped up by her pillows. She had taken a shower, dressed into a black tank top and boy shorts, and reluctantly agreed to listen to my story.

            “Are you comfortable?” I asked, looking over at her. She hardened her glare before answering.

            “No.”

            “Why not?”

            “Because you’re sitting there,” she replied coldly, her eyes narrowing. I chuckled and the corner of KC’s lip twitched towards a frown.

            “Why you got to be mean?”

            “Why’d you have to lie?” she spat defensively. I inhaled a deep breath to keep myself from firing back. “Are you going to tell me a story or can I go to sleep?”

            I sighed before smiling gently at her. “Once upon a time…”

            “Oh, here we go,” KC rolled her eyes, but I chose to ignore her.

            “There was a girl named Katie Blarez.” KC’s eyes darkened and she looked away, staring out the balcony window. “She was… different.” I chose my words carefully, watching KC closely in fear that she would either bolt or attack. “Katie was small for her age, with brunette hair tinted with golden highlights. She loved the arts, theater, drawing, but no one ever gave her a second glance for her talent. Maybe because she was quiet around people she knew well enough to hate.”

KC glanced at me for a moment, but in that moment I could see that she was full with interest and curiosity and I knew she was wondering how I remembered all of that.

            “On the opposite side of the social chain there was an ass named Damon Falon,” I said and I saw an amused smirk barely crack KC’s lips. “Damon was a spoiled brat with powerful parents who showered him with praise and gifts, never wondering if it’d ever go to his head. Maybe they should’ve.” I continued, finishing the last sentence quietly. KC was looking at me now, her face hard and emotionless but her grey eyes expressing the faintest care.

            “Damon knew with all that power he could get any friends he wanted, human or werewolf. But, he figured to maintain that power he had to stay with the powerful kids, the ones that didn’t let the weak ones grasp any power at all. For a long time he had been successful, eliminating some of the weakest so that they went to private schools or homeschooled. But don’t get me wrong, he never really enjoyed that part. He enjoyed the power.” I noticed that KC had grimaced and was glancing towards the window again; the silver sliver of moon was high against the black sky, bright stars speckling the scenery.

            “He didn’t let his real feelings show, though, and he became more loved. Well, at least he thought it was love and acceptance. It was really just people who liked to use Damon’s power to their own advantage. He didn’t know that at the time.” I glanced up at the portrait of my parents over the fireplace before glancing over at KC who was still gazing out the window. “Then, in seventh grade, Damon met Katie and they clashed like cats and dogs.

            No matter how much Damon tried to break her like he had done to so many others, she wouldn’t shatter, not even crack. He teased her for hours of a day, knocked books out of her hands, stepped on her artwork, and still she would just ignore him. One day, Damon remembers that Katie had gone to school very sad looking. She was pale and her eyes were dark, but Damon didn’t think much of it and continued to torture her.” My chest felt hollow as I remembered the pain I saw KC in and now a tear had slipped down the side of her face, leaving a dark spot on the comforter. But, I knew she had to hear it so I continued.