•• Chapter T h i r t y e i g h t ••

I had a one-way ticket to a place where all the demons go

Where the wind don't change

And nothing in the ground can ever grow

No hope, just lies

And you're taught to cry into your pillow

But I survived

"Got any twos?" Scott grumbled from his spot across from me

"Got any twos?" Scott grumbled from his spot across from me. His body leaned over the small and rusted table that separated us and his large hands grasping the bent and old cards we had come to rely on for entertainment.

Not that we didn't have a television, but I hated watching it. Hearing the warning the news gave about the same species that had saved us from total extinction.

The wind was warm. My hair in a high ponytail and a thin layer of sweat was set on my forehead. My body clad in shorts and a tank top.

"Go fish" I mumbled and watched in amusement as his jaw clenched. He slammed his hand on the middle of the table and grabbed another card from the deck. Muttering quiet curses under his breath as he placed the new card with his others.

Scott had become my lifeline in these four years we had been running and then- not. His black hair was shaggy and in desperate need of a cut. Even though I had only cut his hair a month ago. He had light stubble covering his prominent jawline and his cerulean eyes were light even in these dark times.

Scott saved me. Even if he wasn't aware off the full effect he had saved me in, he still saved me. He pulled me from the burning car and quite literally brought the oxygen back into my lungs. He knew who I was and who I was involved with. He was my best friend in this time.

"I'll give you this game. I'll be back in a couple of hours" I laugh lightly into the quiet air between us and set down my cards onto the table for him to see.