Chapter 28: Brave Idyllic World

Start from the beginning

He chuckled quietly before he turned to the young woman again.

"I'd like to have a coffee and a bagel", he ordered, faking a smile, "A cup of tea- uhm, Earl Grey- and a donut."

The waitress wrote down his order, nodded slightly and left.

Immediately, Robert looked out of the window again, taken away by his thoughts.

"Robert?", I asked and searched for a Christmas ball, "Can you help me?"

Just a few seconds later, I recognized him standing in the doorway, a roguish smile on his lips as he nonchalantly leaned against the doorframe.

"You know", he said, slowly walking towards me, "You don't have to do that, darling. I could easily call someone to take this part..."

"As long as I can remember", I countered , suspiciously raising my eyebrow, "I've always decorated the Christmas tree..."

He quickly pressed his lips on mine to interrupt me, pulling my head closer towards his as our kiss became more passionate.

"That won't keep me from going on", I whispered as we paused in the desperate need for some oxygen.

"You're stubborn, Kate", he mumbled and our eyes met, gently tucking a strand behind my ear while his hand rested on my cheek, "You're the most stubborn person I've ever met."

I chuckled and slowly moved away from him.

"I'll take that as a yes", I added and searched for another Christmas ball, "And now, could you please help me? I'm not tall enough..."

Immediately, he started to laugh.

"Please, Robbie", I pouted and carefully grabbed his tie, pulling him closer towards me before I kissed him again, "Please."

He softly ran his fingers through my hair.

"I just can't resist you", he teasingly whispered into my ear before he quickly lifted me up.

"Robert?"

Both of us raised our heads to look right into those piercing blue eyes.

"Tom", Robert said in surprise but at the same time with relief, "Please, take a seat."

He nodded and sat down across from Robert.

"I'm sorry", he apologized then, "I know I've been a colossal ass-..."

Tom quickly raised his hand to stop Robert.

"Bob, that's okay", he added as the waitress came back with their order, placing it on the table in front of them, "Thank you, my dear."

The woman blushed immediately, like almost every woman Tom talked to.

He took a sip of his tea, smiling at Robert.

"Earl Grey", he mumbled quietly.

"I didn't forget that", Robert explained and laughed, "I know you're mad at me, Tom. And there are not enough words to describe how sorry I am..."

"I am not mad at you, Robert", he countered and took another sip, "I know you're going through some harsh times. And if it makes you feel better to shout at me, then just go ahead."

Now, both of them started to laugh.

"No, seriously", Robert said after a while, "I'm thankful to have you as a friend."

Tom half smiled at him.

"Well, as long as you don't have any other plans", he offered then, "Why don't you come over tonight and spend Christmas at my place..."