Discovery

Astra had been to this field many times over, the only thing different this time was he was coming here together with Mikel and it was early in the afternoon instead of late evening.

Suddenly conscious that he had been holding Mikel's hand this whole time, he let go of it and stepped away.

"This place looks different in day time," Mikel said thoughtfully as he looked around. "The blue grass is still weird though."

"The grass is weird?" Astra asked lazily as he sat on the ground. "Why?"

Mikel shrugged carefully, taking care not to hit his injured side. "I don't know. Wouldn't you have liked it a different colour, maybe green?"

Astra made a face of disgust as he contemplated the idea. "That would be creepy."

Mikel laughed, a pleasant throaty sound and motioned upwards. "Get up. You promised to be my punching bag."

Closing his eyes, Astra turned on the grass with a smile, it was good to hear Mikel laughing again. "I withdraw my statement, wimp."

"What?" Mikel asked incredulously, hobbling over to him. "Then why are we here?"

Astra patted the gap next to him. "This is prime napping space and the grass feels as soft as foam. Not everything's about fighting."

"You offered!" Mikel was outraged and it showed in his voice.

"I know. I also withdrew, didn't you get the memo?" Astra's tone was smug and for the next few minutes there was silence.

"Jolt! Thunder sprites."

From the volume of lightning produced, no one would know Mikel had been unconsciousness for the past few days.

Astra dodged just in time but not before his hair was singed, producing a smoky scent that somehow smelt like goat meat.

He looked at his zigzag brown locks in disbelief and shock. "My hair..."

Now Mikel was the one who looked smug. "Well, since you withdraw your statement, I have no business here."

He turned around to go but he had barely taken a few steps when Astra tackled him to the ground, wrapping both his arms around his midsection as they both fell to the floor.

Mikel was quick to respond, months of training kicking in as he elbowed Astra hard and threw his head back, sure he was doing something right when Astra groaned loudly.

He rolled away, a haughty grin playing on his lips but hunched over when a sharp ache seared through his side.

Play it safe.

Astra rubbed his cheek and glared at Mikel. "Just so you know, the punching bag phase is over. Now I'm a mad sparring partner."

Mikel grinned even wider. "That was quick. You would fail an endurance test for sure. Is this why you're still single?"

As they made eye contact, invisible electricity sizzled between them and then they dove for each other.

Astra feinted at the last moment, grabbing Mikel by the neck and putting him in a headlock. He pushed Mikel to the ground, giving him no breathing space.

"Tapping the ground means surrendering," he informed the struggling Druid breathlessly. "Just so you know."

Mikel pushed back in vain. Astra was practiced and would hold the headlock for however long he had to.

Sending a little electricity to his fingertips, Mikel tapped the arm around his neck and with a yell Astra let go, hissing in pain.

Seeing a chance, Mikel kicked at Astra's shoulder, sending him backwards, before crawling to his feet and taking a few steps back.