BLACK LIVES MATTER

Hello my loves, I went back and forth about posting this here since this is generally a very light and fun place, but I realize I have the biggest reach here and want it to be made clear where I stand on this. In short, No lives can matter until black lives matter. Full stop.

I am a 23 yo white woman living in the mid-south. I am not a minority. I cannot know what it is like to live everyday wondering if someone will blindly hate me or try to harm me because of my skin color. 

I have the privelege of knowing that if I am stopped by a police officer, I will, almost without a doubt, come out of it both alive and without having experience harassment. Black people do not have that privilege. 

I know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I can go to a gas station and buy skittles and a green tea without having to fear for my life. Black people can't. 

I know that I can go to bed at night and not fear police breaking into my home and harming myself or my loved ones. The same cannot be said for our black and poc brothers and sisters. 

I used to be afraid to stand up for my beliefs, but the time for being afraid is passed. It is time to be loud and be heard. Use your voice to say "We will not be quiet! We will stand next to our black siblings!" 

I am a millennial, as are about half of my readers. Gen Z makes up the other half. We are the generations full of Harry Potter's and Katniss Everdeen's and Percy Jackson's and Annabeth Chase's. We will not be quiet anymore. I will not be quiet anymore! 

If you're able, go to protests. If you have the money, donate. Take the time to sign petitions. If you have a platform, use it to educate others. If you aren't able to do anything else, educate yourself.

No matter how old you are or where you live, you have the power to help.  

List of places to donate:

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/where-to-donate-for-black-lives-matter.html

Protesting safely:

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/how-to-protest-safely-during-coronavirus-pandemic

A link to a few petitions in support of BLM on my Tumblr:

https://bearhugsandcinnamonbuns.tumblr.com/post/620288344635654144/list-of-petitions-that-still-need-signatures

I know it's been a few days since we all saw the video of George Floyd, and that it's easy to talk about this for five minutes and go back to our memes, but we can't let this go. Not this time. If you have questions about any of this, or you just need to vent about life in general, please drop into my inbox. 

We are done with helpless and silent. From now on, we will be bold and loud. I love you all.<3