Meeting the Hughes Fam (requested)

Jack and I have been dating for 5 months now and I never got to meet his parents because we both live in apartments in New Jersey while his parents are in Michigan. Now after the hockey season, it was time for him to go back home to his parents. Back to Canton, Michigan. A week ago he asked me if I wanted to come with him to meet his family and I agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing his family. But I'm also very nervous. What if I'm not what they'd imagined for Jack? What if I'm not good enough? "Babe, what's wrong?" Jack asked me in the car on our way to the airport. "It's nothing..." I responded. But he looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Okay, fine...I'm worried that your parents won't like me. I'm worried that I'm not good enough..." I gave in looking down onto my lap where I was fiddling with my thumbs. "That's impossible," Jack said placing his hand on my lap and squeezing light, "It's impossible that they won't like you. They'll love you. You'll be the daughter they never had. On the phone my mom was so excited to meet you, to meet the girl that stole my heart." And then he squeezed my lap three times. It's our way of saying 'I love you' when we don't want to use words.

___

Now we're standing at the door. And I can tell you I've never been more nervous. My palms were never that sweaty in my life. Jack rang the doorbell and smiled at me. I took one last breath and the door opened. It was Luke. I've never actually met him but when he face-timed with Jack, sometimes I was with Jack. "Hey, nice to finally meet you in person," Luke said to me with a bright smile. "Hi, yes it's nice to finally meet you," I said shyly. Then he turned to Jack and they did the typical boys handshake. "Quinn isn't here yet, he still has some business in Vancouver," Luke said then we went in.

We went to the living room because Jack's parents are there. The room is very modern. A big TV hung on the wall and they had a big couch in the middle of the room forming a kind of 'U'. When we entered the room his parents immediately came to us. "Hello, you must be Y/N. I'm Ellen, Jack's mom. And this is my husband Jim," Ellen greeted me kindly. "It's nice to meet you. Jack speaks very highly of you," I said. Ellen hugged me and Jim shook my hand. Then they both hugged Jack and Ellen whispered something in his ear. Luke, Jack, and I went to Jack's room then because Ellen said the dinner will take a while.

His walls were beige and he had a queen-sized bed that stood next to the door at the wall. Luke just jumped on the bed and Jack jumped on top of him with a bawl. "You know you don't have to stand around, right? You know you could just jump on us...or you could just sit next to us," Luke said while he watched me standing awkwardly in the doorframe. I looked at them, took a few steps toward them, and then I jumped. "Hmpf" was all I could hear. I couldn't even tell if it was Jack or Luke. I suppose Luke since he lies at the bottom. "See that was easy and not hard at all and now please Jack and Y/N get off of me," Luke said agonized and out of breath. Jack rolled down of Luke so now I'm laying on Jack. Jack was on his back and I was on my stomach. Our faces were really close and we looked deeply into the eyes of each other. His face got closer to mine and as we were about to kiss Ellen shouted that the food was ready. I rolled over and we went to the dining room. at the table, Jim talked to the boys about hockey. "Ellen the food is delicious. You have to teach me how to cook this please," I begged Ellen. "For sure. Maybe when you come over the next time," she told me with a huge grin on her face.

"How did you two meet? Jack never told us," Ellen asked. The boys stopped talking. "That's right, he never told us how you met," Jim said. "Well, I grew up in New Jersey and I've always liked the devils. I had to my dad would've killed me and my brother too. Liking the Devils came naturally to me. So then the Devils drafted Jack and my family was really hyped up. What you could see from the NTDP was very promising. So we went to the opening game and at warm-ups, he tossed me a puck. Our seats were right at the bench, so when he just got from his shift he asked some staff member for a piece of paper or something he could write on and a pen. I ended up getting a piece of tape with his number on. And I remember a girl sitting behind me gasping and talking to her friend how she should've gotten his number," I chuckled. Jack looked at me "When I was on the ice for warm-ups you caught my eyes immediately. How excited you talked to your brother about something. I had the urge to give you a puck and I wanted to write my number then but I couldn't because I obviously didn't have a pen on me. When I saw you sitting there basically next to me I knew I had to shoot my shot, and it worked," The whole time he said that Jack looked straight into my eyes. I'm so happy to have him.

After that, I helped Ellen to clean up. In the kitchen, she talked about old childhood memories of the boys. How she taught them to skate and how she and Jim taught them everything about hockey that they could. Then when we were done we went into the living room. We watched a movie together and after the movie, we all decided to go to bed.

Jack and I laid in his bed when he turned to me while I was facing the ceiling. "I love you, Y/N Y/L/N. And one day you'll be a Hughes. I'm gonna make you my wife when the time comes. And I want to build a family with you. I want a puppy and two kids. A son who'll be just like his dad and a beautiful daughter just like her mother," Jack said out of the blue. He then took my hand and kissed it. I turned to face him "I want to build a family with you too and I'll be happy to be a Hughes when you ask me but until then I'll be happy with being your girlfriend. I can't imagine life without you anymore. I wanna be with you for eternity. I love you, Jack." I responded.