Nightmare Eyes

Brush your teeth before you cross the road

Nightmare lay sprawled out on his bed, staring up at the glow-in-the-dark stars that dotted his ceiling. They didn't interest him like they used to. Nothing really interested him anymore. He blinked, shifting his focus onto the clock that hung on the wall in front of him. It was light enough for him to be able to make out the time- It was almost five in the morning. He sighed quietly. He can't even remember if he slept last night. It feels as if he's slowly losing control of his life and it's scaring him. Lots of things seem to be scaring him now yet he doesn't know what to do about it. Nothing makes sense to him anymore. 

'I can help you.' The voice whispered and Nightmare's blood ran cold.

He could see him- the thing in the corner of the room holding a finger up to it's grinning mouth as if it was silencing the guardian. Nightmare stared at it with wide eyes, unable to form words. How had it escaped his mind? He didn't have much time to dwell on it as the bedroom door was swung open and Dream happily entered the room, yelling "good morning, brother!" 

Nightmare winced at the volume, momentarily glancing at the other guardian. When he looked back at the corner of the room where the thing had been, it was gone. He remained unmoving for a few seconds before releasing another sigh and turning back to face Dream.

"Good morning." He mumbled softly, giving the other a weak smile. 

Dream frowned and padded over towards the other, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. 

"Night, are you alright?" He asked, voice laced with concern.

Nightmare simply nodded in response, doing a quick scan of his bedroom just to make sure the thing was not hiding anywhere. Dream noticed his frantic searching and frowned deeper. 

"You seem distressed." 

Nightmare halted his searching and faced Dream again. A bubble of guilt rose up in him when he noticed the worry in those golden-yellow eyes. He sat up and stretched his arms before giving the other a small smile.

"I'm fine, really." He lied. "I just thought I saw a spider and had to make sure."

Dream made a weird noise of disgust at the mention of a spider and shuddered. Nightmare chuckled at the reaction, shuffling out from under the bed cover. He threw it at the other guardian who let out a cry of confusion.

"Hey- what was that for?" Dream whined, fumbling under the blanket before tossing it away and jumping up off the bed. 

The small smile on Nightmare's face turned genuine for a few moments and his lilac eyes faintly glowed.

"You were in my way."

"You had plenty of space to get up!"

"I wanted to specifically get up where you were sat."

Dream huffed, watching as Nightmare proceeded to get out of bed in a completely different place to where he was sat. The guardian of negativity yawned loudly and stretched his arms again, flicking Dream's forehead in the process. 

"You're mean." Dream grumbled.

"I know." Nightmare answered.

Dream frowned, shaking his head.

"I was joking- you're not mean, you're awesome."

"People can be awesome yet mean."

"Not you, you can only be awesome."

Nightmare chuckled again and for a few seconds he forgot about the thing in his mind and all the paranoia. He felt at ease. Dream smiled softly, his eyes widening a fraction when he remembered something.

Dreamtale Oneshotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें