Nine

Lea’s POV --

Ten minutes until the bell rang and we could all get the hell out of here. I had a truck load of homework to get done. I had tests coming up and exams to study for. All the while, my brain has been in a completely different dimension. It was hard to keep my focus solely on schoolwork and keeping my grades above at least a high B. I guess that’s the price of finding yourself crushing on a guy you’ve barely come to know. It was like freshman year of highschool all over again for me. At that time I had the hugest crush on one of the seniors, his name was Alexander, and he was a straight A student. I only ever talked to him once and it wasn’t intentional. I was told to head over to the class that he happened to be in and ask the teacher if he could be excused for a moment, in the hallway he said to me was, ‘You’re a freshman?’ and I nodded and he said ‘That sucks.’ and we never spoke to each other again.

I guess you could say that was the best conversation I ever had with a senior. However, it doesn’t beat all the talking Jason and I have been doing recently. Kira and I were in the bathroom together, sitting up against the pit in the wall once again. We weren’t in the same class so meeting up wasn’t much of a problem and school would be over in about eight minutes so we couldn’t really get in much trouble.

“So I’m supposed to be hanging with Brody and Ace tonight.” Kira was saying, she was lying on her back, her head propped up on her book bag comfortably. “You want to come?”

“Why would I?” I say. I was seated with my back up against the wall and my knees up but legs spread apart so I could see Kira. My hands were together, holding my phone over my stomach and I glance down at the screen which lit up. “I think it’d make more sense to invite Lana.”

“True but we haven’t hung out, outside of school in like four weeks.” She pouts, raising her chin up and looking back at me. “I miss you!”

“Kira,” I drag out her name and frown sadly, “I miss hanging with you too but Ace and Lana are like...a thing you know?” Kira nods, understanding but she remains with her bottom lip poked out in the cutest form. I extend my hand out and she extends her back in my direction until I grab her fingers and we remain like that for a while.

“Come over my house after school for a bit, I’ll take you home after.” She smiles at me, squeezing my fingers eagerly.

I open my mouth just as the bell rings and the hallways begin to flood with teenagers. I release Kira’s hand and twist my body so that my legs were hanging over the edge of where I sat. Kira sits up, grabbing her bag and tossing it over the right shoulder. We hop off the edge and as I walk towards the door she stops to check herself out in the mirror. Before exiting, she quickly touches up her mascara and applies lip gloss. I roll my eyes and she giggles while pressing her lips together firmly.

My back was killing me from carrying all these books around all day and it would be great if I could just leave some in my locker for the night. Sadly, though, I could not do that since I needed each textbook and notebook to study and do homework with. Oh, joy!

So we skip making a stop at my locker and Kira already had all her things which made leaving school run more swiftly than usual. Outside of school, we walk down the stairs and stand by a tree until the sidewalk was somewhat deserted. I continue glancing at my phone, at the street, at the cars passing and the people strolling past--majority of them being students.