9

Thanks zikky_zik for your review on my book. 😍😘😘😘  I love you ❤️

"Hey big sis, Good afternoon Ma." I greeted my elder sister as I connected my earphone to my phone, it was a WhatsApp call so I wanted to use the earphones so I could attend to other messages.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine o, I've been doing pretty well on my own. Las Las ehn it's better to be on my own." I had told her about the fall out I had with my so called friends.

"Leave that place now." She said scolding her daughter. "She is supposed to be an example to her younger ones, and not show them road to part of the house I don't want them to go. When they scatter everywhere I'll still be the one to clean it up"

"Haba!" I said laughing. "Allow the girl to play."

My sister is just three years older than me and she already has a nine years old daughter, she got married pretty early.

"Mummy called me earlier today o" I told her. "Sister, I don't like the way she continues to bring up marriage talk in all our conversations."

"She's still disturbing you? I thought she backed off after Ivie's introduction." It was my sister who had helped me talk to my mom to leave me alone when she was bugging me to bring a husband before Ivie gets married. My dad was also in support of my sister, he said he wouldn't rob Ivie of her happiness because I didn't have a husband, that was how that matter got settled. Now she isn't disturbing me to get married before Ivie but to just get married.

"Yes o, I just said I should let you know because very soon I would stop taking her calls. I don't want to be pressured unnecessarily, or should I advertise myself for marriage to all the men in the world?" I complained.

"Please, don't let anyone deceive you or pressure you my dear. It's not like you're the one making yanga, you just haven't gotten a man that is ready to commit yet. Be patient."

"I'm not even looking for love now. If I see a man that's ready, I'll dive in o."

My sister laughs. "Are you ok?"

She thinks I'm joking.

"I am. Look I'm tired, I just want to get married and have peace of mind."

"Who told you the pressure would stop? They would only change it. The next thing is when are they having their grand baby? In all these you have to work on your marriage because relationships doesn't work just because both parties love each other, it works because they both have wisdom and understanding and are willing to apply it in their relationship."

I listened carefully to what she was saying. Whenever she talks, there's always something to learn.

"Forget about age. Marrying at a young age is good, but it's not the best. What is best is marrying well. Humans change o, after marriage, you'll start asking yourself if the person you're married to is the person you've always known."

"Hmm"

"You want to marry, you want to marry. How prepared are you for marriage? How many books have you read about marriage? How many seminars have you attended? How many messages have you listened to? As you are like this, can you date yourself and be satisfied with you? Have you worked on your emotions?"

I couldn't answer those questions.

"Marriage doesn't just work out of the blues, you have to consciously prepare for it. You don't start preparing for marriage when you get engaged, you start way before you even meet your spouse."

"Wow." All these while, I've been pressuring myself to get married and I haven't done anything in preparation for what I've been waiting for.

"A man will come, be patient, but before then, build yourself. Marriage that you're looking for with torch and candle is what some people are looking for a way to escape from, if I have my way, I would have ran away from this one I'm in."

"Thanks so much for the advice ma. But you don't have to make a joke about running away from your marriage just to make me feel better." I told her laughing. She and her husband are so in love with each other. "You and brother Ezekiel are made for each other."

"Nosa I'm not lying, marriage hasn't been easy. There are good times yeah, but it's not always a bed of roses. I've been married for ten years so I know what I'm saying."

My sister doesn't just say stuff like this. I know her so well, we were very close while growing up until she got married and moved to another state. Marriage took her away from me. The relationship hasn't been the same, it's not easy to take care of her husband, her kids, her job and still be able to reach out to everyone every time. We talk anytime we have the opportunity to, but it can't be the same as when she was always around. She was my best friend, the only one I can tell anything and she wouldn't judge me. I know her so well and that's why her last words scared me.

"Sister Itohan, what is happening?" I asked with concern evident in my voice.

"I love your brother in-law so much, infact we're in love with each other but sometimes..." She paused. "Sometimes..."

"Sometimes what?" I asked her. All the hair on my neck has stood. I became uncomfortable all of a sudden.

"Sometimes he hits me."

Most people say it's the woman's job to keep a home, I disagree. It is the job of both parties. Men need to work hard too. Men also need to check their emotions, read books and attend seminars to be able to be the perfect man for their spouses.

Glossary:

Las Las ehn! - At last

Haba - Exclamation

Yanga - Pose, Show off.

This was a difficult chapter for me to write.😩

What do you think about Nosa's sister?

Do you think Nosa is prepared enough for the marriage she has been waiting for?

What's your general view about this chapter?

Don't forget to vote.