Chapter 15 - Taking Candy from a Baby

=Namjoon's PoV=

     Before when the decisions were much simpler I had a good idea of who to pick. But now, I realized that maybe some are different from what they seem. To investigate on this, I decided to spend a day with Seokjin. Or maybe that's a short excuse to just get to know him better.

     Being the smart person I am, I have decided to ask Jin-hyung about going to a nearby candy store. Why? Because not only is it a great place that attracts child (in which I can see how well he deals with children). it also is a place where there are lots of candies, including a jellybean jar. You'll see later why.

     From what I've seen on some shows is that casual is the best way to go. I'll ask him to go along with me because I want to get mom a present but I don't have good taste in candy and I want to get to know the contestants better before I make a suggestion for Yoongi to pick.

     To get this to perfectly work, I should do it at around 6 pm, when the sun begins to set. Yeah.

In the Evening.

     It is time. I head over to Jungkook and Taehyung's room where Seokjin is placed for now and I knock. I could hear soft footsteps so in the meantime I checked myself out in the reflection of my watch to see if there are any stains on me.

     "Yes... who is it?" a sweet voice said that came from inside.

     I cleared my throat, "Hi Seokjin-hyung. I'm Namjoon. I want to ask if you are free today?"

     After he opened the door for me, he stepped back so that I could come inside. The interior wasn't really my style but who am I to judge my brothers' room.

     "So... Prince Namjoon, what do you need of me today?"

     "Well..." I say, remembering what I had planned out earlier, "I wanted to get to know the remaining contenders first before making a final suggestion for my Yoongi-hyung. I would like to invite you for a trip to Ms. Hak's Candy Store for something. Do you have time?"

     Jin stuttered, "O-of course! Do you want to go right now I could do right now."

     "Sure, in fact I was planning just that :)"

     I gave him some time to change by stepping out of the room and waiting by the door. Of course, he had Taehyung's bathroom and all but you gotta be a gentleman sometimes.

     As soon as he stepped out, we made way and went outside of the castle walls. We could see the gardeners caring for the crops from the front and some birds were settled atop a telephone line.

     The candy store wasn't a far walk from the castle; only a block or two. I could notice that Seokjin was skipping instead of regularly walking which I think is super cute. 

     "Ah, Seokjin, we're here," I say, as we stopped in front of a shop. I pushed the door and in we went. 

     "Long time no see Namjoon-ah," Ms. Hak said, "and who might this be?" She pointed at Jin.

     "This is my Jin-hyung; he's kinda new," I said, which shocked Jin a little. 

     "Ah, very well then! Hello Jin, would you like anything today?"

     Just then, Ms. Hak's children rush out from a staff room as if it was signaled on-cue. They swarmed around me and Seokjin, "trapping" us inside of a continuous moving stream. Jin giggled out wholeheartedly, and as if magic the atmosphere around him started to glow. 

     He bent down and patted one of the children on the head, "Gotcha! Now stop before you get dizzy and bump into each other."

     The children stopped and ran back into the room leaving me, Seokjin, and Ms. Hak.

     "Honey dear please don't mind the kids I know they're quite rowdy sometimes." Ms. Hak pleaded.

     Seokjin said, "Don't worry Ms. Hak; I'm fine with kids. In fact, I take care of my younger brother* when my parents aren't around."

*A/N: I know that Jin has an older not younger brother, but for this story its going to be like that lol

     "I want to give this... this... ah! This jar of assorted candy for you because you've been such a sweetheart," Ms Hak says, a loud clang in the backroom followed, "I would really talk with you more but I have to go check up on my kiddos, please make yourself comfy."

     This is my chance. "Hm... how many pieces of candy do you think are in there hyung?"

     He looked at it questioningly, "...perhaps 53 pieces?"

     I examined it before I chose my final answer. It has 11 pieces at the top and around 7 layers, so around 78 is a good guess. Although Jin didn't get it exactly or close, I'll still give him the satisfactory of effort.

     "You got it correct!" I said, followed by a cute squeal from the broad-shouldered man.

     Before I could say another word, my phone started to ring and it was my mother on the other line. Although I respect her very much this has got to be one of the worst times she could call me. I answered it and she was talking about how visitors from neighboring kingdoms were here and she would be delighted if I could join them.

     'I'm sorry Seokjin-hyung, but do you think you can make it back to the castle on your own? The Queen needs me right now so I don't have time to walk you back. I'm sorry," I say to him.

     "O-oh, it's fine. I'll just stop by Seven Eleven to get some food. Well then, I'll see you tomorrow."

     We both parted directions as we exited the shop, be towards the castle and him back into the streets. Guilt overflows me as I feel very bad for not being about to walk him back to his room and just ditching him there for my mom's little tea parties or something, but a request is a request that I can't deny.

Word Count: 1041

Date Published: June 15, 2020