Snap Out Of It.

For Gabbi and Courtney. Ily guys <3

.....................................................

But it don't sound much like you, girl.
Under a spell, you're hypnotized.

- Snap Out Of It, Arctic Monkeys.

......................................................

"Martin!" Stiles called out from somewhere down the empty corridor. Lydia reacted involuntarily, doing a stunted half-turn before scowling and rounding on him fully.

He was smiling at her, that infuriating yet ludicrously sexy almost-smirk of his. Cheeks flushed, breathing heavily, and dark hair tousled and messy, he had obviously been running to catch up with her.

"Hey." He flashed her a thousand-watt grin, running a hand through his hair to ruffle it up even more. Lydia stared at him expectantly, not allowing her determined gaze to drift to his lips, instead meeting his eyes - hazel, in the limited light of the corridor - coolly, one eyebrow raised delicately as he grinned down at her.

It registered faintly in the back of Lydia's mind that he was standing far too close to her. That thought was soon drowned out by how amazing whatever aftershave he used was. Spicy and heady, with sweet caramel notes blended in.

Lydia took a tiny step back.

Stiles took a slightly bigger step forward, and her arms - crossed firmly over her chest - ended up pressed against the top of his stomach. Lydia felt heat rise to her cheeks at just how hard said stomach was. There was nothing to breathe except his stupid aftershave, and Lydia struggled to inhale and exhale at a speed that would be deemed normal.

"Can-" She cleared her throat, blushing at the tiny squeak in her voice. "Can I help you?"

Stiles chuckled darkly, and he whispered into her ear, "Oh, I hope so, sweetheart."

Lydia made a strangled sort of noise in the back of her throat, finding that her blood suddenly felt like fire in her veins. Still, she refused to step back again. Refused to let him win whatever game he was playing.

"Um. By that, you mean...?" She stared with at his Quidditch Captain badge, her heart racing.

"I was hoping you would help me..." He let the sentence taper off, unfinished and insinuating a thousand possible endings. Lydia's mouth went dry after imagining just one.

"With... Charms?" Stiles smirked at her, and Lydia suddenly realized how far towards him she had leant without noticing. "I wanted to organize another study date."

"They are NOT dates," Lydia corrected quickly.

"Whatever, Martin." Stiles raised an eyebrow. "See you in the common room at midnight?"

"No," she replied immediately. "I am not letting you get me alone like that again." Lydia attempted to look dignified, although she was sure that she resembled a tomato, the way she was blushing.

Stiles looked up and down the deserted corridor a few times before leaning in as if he was going to tell her a secret.

"Martin... we're alone now."

Lydia stepped back. Game or no game, she couldn't bet on keeping her resolve to not kiss him.

"Well... I wasn't exactly counting on you stalking me through half the school and cornering me in a dark corridor, was I?" she snapped, glaring up at him.