Girls.

Oh give it a rest, I could persuade you.

- Girls, The 1975

.................................................

The Great Hall was, as always, bursting with energetic chatter and movement, the candles floating suspended in mid air casting flickering golden light over everything.

Lydia rolled her eyes at the Marauders holding court in the middle of the Gryffindor table, their gaggle of adoring bimbos giving Scott and Isaac their undivided attention as they told a story that involved a lot of energetic hand gestures and Scott laughing at his own jokes.

Danny, as usual, was sitting beside Isaac quietly, occasionally contributing to the story, but content to watch the scene unfold for the rest of the time. And Stiles... was staring straight at her, Lydia suddenly realized. She suddenly became conscious of her every movement with his gaze following her, his eyes full of amusement at her discomfort.

Lydia found her friends in the middle of a debate about whether or not it was worth getting up early to watch Gryffindor Quidditch practice on Friday morning. Malia argued that it was a perfect boyfriend scouting opportunity for Allison, who refused adamantly with an insistent line about needing her beauty sleep.

Lydia hid behind Allison thankfully, cutting off Stiles' persistent stare. Her palms were sweating.

"What do you think, Lyds?" Malia's voice broke her concentration, letting Lydia forget about the fact that Stiles was acting much stranger than usual. At Lydia's confused reaction, Malia sighed dramatically. "Quidditch practice. Do you wanna go with me and Ally on Friday morning?"

"I am NOT going," Allison interrupted. "I would prefer to shove needles een my eyes than get up that early to watch a bunch of testosterone-addled meat 'eads fly around on brooms."

Allison's French accent became stronger when she was annoyed, making her malevolent expression completely useless because everyone found her irritated babble positively adorable. She had transferred from Beauxbatons Academy in third year, immediately becoming close friends with Lydia, and was soon friends with Lydia's friends. She and Malia still didn't quite click, though.

"Besides," interjected Lydia teasingly. "You just want to see Stiles Stilinski get all hot and sweaty." She winked at her friend, who bit her lip as a furious blush colored her cheeks. "Why, I have no idea, considering that he's an arrogant prick with no respect for women." Or their personal space, apparently, Lydia thought.

"Who is?" Kira Yukimura plopped down next to Lydia, taking in Malia's blush, Allison's barely-hidden smirk, and Lydia's scowl. "Ah. Never mind." Allison let a giggle escape as Malia frowned at Kira in annoyance.

"It is not funny," Malia snapped at Allison, who was turning pink in her effort to contain her laughter.

"Not. Funny. At all!" Allison choked out, fanning her face with her hand. Tears of laughter formed in her eyes as Malia stabbed her steak viciously.

"Al..." Lydia chided quietly. Allison sobered up, seeing Malia's bottom lip fall into a pout and her little hands drop to form fists in her lap.

"Oh. Sorry Lia," Allison said gently. "Eet's just... Stiles, you know?"

"Yeah. I know," Malia responded dejectedly, staring at her hands. "He likes Lydia, anyways." She shrugged. "I wouldn't have a chance even if he did notice me."