Just The Girl.

She's bittersweet, she knocks me off my feet, and I can't help myself, I don't want anyone else.

-Just The Girl, The Click Five.

....................................................

The fire was dying by the time everyone had cleared out of the common room. Stiles had completed his Charms essay and was lying on one of the ancient decorative rugs, distractedly playing with a snitch. He had a habit of nicking them after games; five years of playing quidditch had produced a small collection. He liked them, even though he was a chaser. McGonagall always said he had a seeker's build. Maybe there was a part of him that was attached to that.

It was late, too late for him to logically still be up, but it was a Wednesday night, and Lydia always had Transfiguration homework due first lesson on Thursday morning. If he was being honest, he was quite enjoying their late night study arrangement. It didn't matter what kind of day he had been having, there was just something about being around Lydia that made him feel wide awake.

It was the way that she was smarter than him. She never boasted it, never addressed it, she just was. And somehow he was OK with that. It kept him on his toes. He liked it. He liked her. He really, truly liked Lydia. And her impossibly captivating green eyes. And those pouty lips...

The dying fire spat a little, jerking Stiles out of his contemplative and semi-crude thoughts. He sat up, shaking off the drowsiness that threatened to swallow him. An unusual spot of purple in the corner of his eye caught his attention. Stiles spun around, startled. Lydia was standing in the doorway of the staircase that led to the girl's dormitories, clad in violet flannel pajamas, her hair loose over her shoulders and her face clean of makeup. She smiled shyly, as if embarrassed to be caught staring.

"Hey," she mumbled, padding over to him softly on bare feet. Her glittery toenail varnish was chipped, but Stiles knew she didn't care. Kira would have conned her into putting it on when she was bored at some point. Lydia had very cute toes, he noticed. Stiles then wondered when he had started finding toes cute.

Instead of taking one of the obviously more comfortable armchairs, Lydia sank down beside him, a battered textbook in one hand and her wand in the other. Stiles gulped and ran a hand through his already messy hair as her knee knocked against his carelessly. For Merlin's sake, get it together, Stiles thought to himself angrily. She's just a girl.

"McGonagall is making us turn books into crows," Lydia said, pouting. "And I'm terrible at it. All I can do is make them squawk." She gave the book a scathing glare. Stiles laughed quietly.

"Because, as usual, you're over-thinking it," he replied, effortlessly turning the book into a glossy black bird with a flick of his wand. It did a little hop, as if about to take flight, and Stiles quickly switched it back. The book thudded to the ground solidly.

"Show off," Lydia grumbled. She flicked her wand at the book in an imitation of what Stiles had done, making it jump off the floor with a loud screech. A single black feather drifted down beside it.

"What were you thinking about just then?" Stiles asked.

Lydia frowned in annoyance at the useless question.