Chapter 34

🖤

On Madelyn's second night at Alaric's apartment, she woke up by someone knocking on the door.

Alaric heard it too and had reached the door before her, revealing a really drunk Jeremy, on the other side of the door.

"I'll handle this." Alaric said to Madelyn, with a stern look on his face.

Madelyn nodded in understanding and walked back upstairs, and got back to sleep. Alaric still felt very protective and responsible for Elena and Jeremy. He was the last one to keep the group together. He was the one, keeping Madelyn's connection to Mystic Falls intact.

Later that day, Madelyn got a text from Alaric;

"I need to take care of Jeremy. Will you be fine? Just feel at home."

"Yeah. Sure." She quickly responded.

She walked around the apartment, not knowing how to kill the time as she suddenly noticed a familiar picture, on a table.

She carefully picked the frame up, to take a closer look and couldn't help but smile.
The picture was of her, Damon, and Alaric, from one of their casual nights out at the Mystic Grill. They all looked so happy and the memory made her feel happy.
She was happy that Alaric was back, he was such a great support and had always been.

Before Madelyn could put any more thought into it, her phone buzzed in her pocket.

"Hey. I'm heading back to Savannah."  Stefan said on the other end of the phone, as she picked up.

"Oh, okay. Well, actually I'm at Ric's apartment, and I think I might stay for a while." She said insecurely, not wanting to leave Mystic Falls right away.

"Uh, okay." Stefan said a bit surprised and shocked, that she had left.

"I'll call you, okay? I just want to catch up, and then I'll come home." Madelyn explained.

"Yeah, okay. See you." Stefan said before hanging up, leaving her feeling uneasy about the situation between them. He had really stepped in and supported her after Damon died.

Madelyn spend most of her time, at the apartment, because Alaric told her that there was a vampire hunter lurking around the area.

She felt a lot better, being in Ric's company. It reminded her of the good times.

And it was great catching up with everyone, though they were pretty shocked and confused by the pregnancy.

🖤

Stefan went to the cemetery, after another failed attempt to start over.
He was in the area anyway, because he wanted to check on Madelyn. He felt such a responsibility towards her.

He stepped into the Salvatore crypt, taking a sip of the bourbon he brought with him. He felt lost, guilty and confused.

He sighed loudly before he started laughing at himself.

"Yep. This is happening.
I'm gonna talk out loud to a crypt filled with my dead family." He said, looking around the crypt, clearly uncomfortable.