Chapter 9

🖤

Madelyn stirred in bed from Damon speaking quietly on his phone. She just pretended to be sleeping, as she listened to his conversation.

"How'd he take it?" Damon asked almost in a whisper.

"How do you think?" Madelyn could hear Elena answer on the other end.

"I'm thinking, for the first time all week, I'm happy to be at camp nowhere." Damon said sarcastically.

"How's Jeremy?" Elena asked.

- "That depends on how much you trust me."

"You know that I trust you." Elena said with her sweet voice making Madelyn's stomach tighten.

"Then I think he's gonna get through this just fine." Damon answered her question.

"Thanks for looking out for him." Elena thanked.

"Yeah, well, I told them if they were good, I'd buy them both ice cream, so. Look, I got to go." Damon said, looking over at Madelyn, thinking that she was sleeping.

"Not yet." Elena said, stopping him from hanging up.

"Something happened today. I realized something about you, about us.
And you can say that it's the sire bond, and you know what? Maybe maybe it is, but I'm telling you it's the most real thing. I love you, Damon.
I love you." Elena chuckled.

Madelyn felt like someone had punched her in the stomach.

"Look. I'm going to get this cure for you. And I'm gonna have to do things you're not gonna like." Damon said, before hanging up.

Madelyn fought against the tears before she closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep again.

🖤

The next morning Madelyn carefully snuck out of bed and went to the kitchen to prepare food for the boys. As soon as the smell of food spread around the house, the boys were in the kitchen.

After cleaning up after herself, she walked towards the door speaking.

"I'm going back to town. Take care of each other." She smiled before walking through the door.

"Maddie!" Damon called out, quickly following after her.

She just ignored him and kept walking towards her car.

"Maddie, wait!" Damon called out pleadingly. An annoyed sigh escaped her lips as she stopped and turned to him.

"Maddie, we need to talk." Damon said, with an expression she couldn't read.

"I know what you're going to say." She spoke with tears in her eyes.

"You want to be with Elena." She sighed looking down.

"No, I just need more time. With all that's going on..." He rambled off.

Madelyn walked up to him and grabbed a hold of his neck.

"Find the cure for Elena." She said, looking intensely at him before she placed a soft kiss on his lips and walked away.

🖤