thirty-five

I'm about to follow Vern out the lair, but then I pause. We seriously can't head into foot clan territory with just a car and a gun. I may be impulsive, but I'm not stupid.

I turn without the others realizing it, and walk past the kitchen and to what looks like a dojo. My eyes scan my surroundings for any weapons we could use in battle, and I know I've hit the jackpot when I see a wall filled with weaponry.

I walk towards the wall and pull off what looks like a replica of Leo's sword. I'm so excited to pick it up that I don't realize how heavy it could be. As soon as I unhinge the sword from the wall, it weighs down and the tip lands onto the floor with a loud clank. Okay so maybe this wasn't the best idea.

"I don't usually recommend the katana to beginners." A voice says from behind me, and with a sharp gasp, I turn to see Master Splinter. I drop the 'katana', as he called it, and bow my head.

"Master Splinter." I greet before straightening up and smiling sheepishly. "How long have you been standing there?"

"If I didn't know the art of sneaking, or better, when someone is sneaking in my home..." I think he raises a brow as he says this, but it's hard to tell with his mutated face, "I wouldn't be a very good ninja or father." I notice that he's holding a hand behind his back, but I figure that's just his general stance.

"Right, sorry." I force a smile, but it comes across as worried instead, "then I assume you know everything: you probably know about why I'm here...looking for weapons."

He nods his head with a stoic expression on his face. "I'm aware. I will be the first to admit how foolish you're being." he speaks and I'm about to defend myself, but he speaks again almost immediately, "foolish, but brave. You are surely endangering yourself and everyone you love, but months of studying you has convinced me that nobody will tell you otherwise." 

Months of studying me? Great. First Raph stalked me, then Leo, now I find out that their rat-mutant dad has been studying me. I didn't think I was that interesting.

"So why are you here? Lecturing me?" I ask, trying not to feel exposed underneath the rats intense gaze.

Just when I think I'm about to crack under the pressure, his eyes leave mine and flick to the wall of weapons. He glides past me and to the weapons displayed on the wall. He picks up a thin knife and holds it towards me, the hilt facing me.

"Tanto." he says and I pause. He urges it closer towards me and I realize he wants me to take it. Wide-eyed, I take it from his grip. It's light in my hands, much lighter than the katana. "The tanto is like a knife, but more versatile."

"How do I use it?" I pretend to stab the air, impressed by the blade that glides so effortlessly in my hands.

Splinter pretends to hide the expression of his face: one that asks if I'm being serious. "Stab." is the only word he says for a while. When I stop and face him, he speaks again, "stab with the sharp point."

"I know that." I frown as I tuck the blade into the side of my winter boot. "There's no...special technique? Ninja awesomeness you could teach me?"

Splinter raises a brow. "Stab with the sharp point."

"Okay..." I say before I realize that I was so consumed with the tato and getting a weapon that I didn't realize Vern and the rest would be waiting for me, no doubt confused. "Thank you for this, Master Splinter, but I really think we should go now..." I want to walk out of the dojo, but master Splinter glides to a stop in front of me.

"One more thing, Emma." he finally removes his hand from his back which is in a fist. He opens it to reveal a vial of purple-pink liquid.

"What is that?" I ask in confusion. Why is he giving this to me?