Chapter Nineteen: Do You Mean It?

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in posting, but I'm sure you can understand that with everything going on in the U.S. right now, my fanfic's really aren't my first priority #BlackLivesMatter.
But anyway, here is a super fluffy update! I hope you enjoy it!

Last Week of Fifth Year

Grian sat on Mumbo's lap, playing with the Hufflepuff's tie as Mumbo tried to focus on his book.

The Skele-Gro potion is an intermediate level potion. However, if brewed incorrectly it can-

Mumbo gasped as Grian nuzzled his face into the crease of his neck, planting soft kisses on the pale column of skin and tickling him with his eyelashes. The taller boy shook his head and trained his eyes back to the page, forcing himself to ignore the delightful ministrations of his boyfriend.

The ingredients for said potion are difficult to come by as they include a Chinese chomping cabbage, three pufferfish, and five scarab beetles. The instructions-

"Ah! G-Grian!"

"What? I'm not doing anything." Grian murmured, smirking against Mumbo's ear as he continued to twist his fingers in between the Hufflepuff's raven locks, tugging gently as he brushed the back of his head.

Mumbo let out a shuddering breath as a shiver ran down his spine. He was distinctly aware of the scarlet blush creeping up his neck, making his skin spark with heat and urging him to put down his book.

Grian laughed and planted a soft kiss on his cheek.

"That's so cute Mumbo."

"W-what?"

"We've been together for nearly a year and a half, and you still blush."

Mumbo gulped, and the blond chuckled again as the red in his face doubled.

Stop enjoying this. Mumbo thought. Focus.

His eyes scanned that page as he struggled to find where he had left off.

The potion should be smokey when poured and have a distinctly bitter taste. It is common for it to burn on the way down the throat, but-

"G-Grian... y-you have to st-stop..." Mumbo gasped, his eyes slipping shut as the smaller boy began to run a hand down his back, nibbling on his earlobe. "I-I have to study..."

"Hmm, I don't know Mumbo. You really don't sound like you want me to stop." Grian hummed, giggling when he heard Mumbo's book slip from his hands and fall to the floor. "Gotcha. Wait no!" He yelped as Mumbo grabbed his waist, digging his thumbs into the soft flesh of his stomach.

Mumbo grinned as Grian clung to his shoulders, shaking with the force of his laughter.

"What? I'm not doing anything," he replied, chuckling as the blond whined.

"Don't use my own words against me!" Grian giggled, squealing as the taller boy spidered his fingertips up and down his ribs.

"Alright, alright," Mumbo murmured, changing his movements so he was firmly running his hands along the skinny boy's sides, rubbing away the tingly aftershocks of his ministrations.

Grian sighed happily, leaning his head on Mumbo's shoulder and beginning to play with his hair once again.

"Hey Mumbo?"

"Mn?"

"I'm going to miss you this summer."

A lump formed in Mumbo's throat at those words, and he turned his head a bit to hide his downturned features from Grian's face. It would do no good to make them both upset.

"Yeah, I know what you mean." He whispered, holding Grian a little tighter. "B-but I mean, I'll see you in September, right? That's not too long. Besides, we managed last year."

"Yeah, but..." Grian trailed off, shifting his position so he could more easily make eye contact. "It's still too long."

Mumbo felt his ears burn at the undivided attention he was receiving under those silver eyes. It may have been nearly a year and a half since their first date, but Mumbo couldn't stop his stomach from doing flip flops with every smile and wink he was rewarded with from the Slytherin boy. 

"Mumbo?" Grian tweaked his nose. "You were staring again."

"Oh I-I..." Mumbo pressed the top of his head into Grian's chest to hide his face. "M'sorry. Got distracted."

Grian's laughter reverberated within his skull, and he grinned into the fabric of the smaller boy's shirt.

Nothing was as sweet as his laughter.

Like bells.

"Hey Mumbo..."

Slender fingers grasped his chin gently, pulling his gaze up to meet that of his companion.

"Mn?"

"Do you think..." Grian hesitated, biting his lip as he worked through his thoughts. "Would you want to come stay at my house for a bit this summer?" His ears flushed pink at Mumbo's wide eyes. "I mean, you don't have to. I know it's probably not the best place to spend your summer, and you probably have better things to do, but I just thought it could be-" 

"I'd love to!" Mumbo cut in, startling the talkative Slytherin into silence. "By your house, um, you mean the Quod House... right?"

Grian nodded.

"Yeah. I mean you really don't have to, but I promise it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is. As long as we stay out of the way of the supervisors, there shouldn't be a problem! Plus they usually aren't around anyway."

Mumbo felt a strange pang of solace wash through his body as his chest tightened uncomfortably.

Grian rarely spoke about The Quod House or the rest of the forgotten children. He refused to talk about his parents, always referring to Doc and False as though they had raised him... which if Mumbo really thought about it, made more sense than any other explanation for the daunting overprotectiveness of Grian's older siblings.

Either way, as much as he itched to ask, to go through each question on his list and talk them through until he lost his voice, Mumbo held back his curiosity, hiding his disappointment every time Grian changed the subject or fell silent.

It wasn't about him anyway.

"Hello? Mumbo?" Grian rapped his knuckles across the Hufflepuff's forehead. "So? What do you say?"

"I'd really like to come, but..."

"But... your parents." Grian finished for him, his shoulders slouching slightly as his eyes downcast in disappointment. "I understand."

"I'm... I'm sorry." Mumbo murmured, gripping Grian's hand tightly and kissing his palm in apology.

Grian gave him a sad smile.

"Oh well. It's not your fault. I guess I'll just have to play poker without my good luck charm, and practice flying without my cheerleader, and go swimming with no one to help dry me off." He winked.

Mumbo's eyes widened and heat bloomed in his cheeks as the thought.

Swimming... with Grian...

"Maybe-" his voice cracked dreadfully. "M-maybe I can figure out s-some way to j-join you over summer holiday."

Grian's eyes lit up like sparkling silver stars and his beaming smile stretched his cheeks wide as he cupped Mumbo's face in his hands.

"Really Mumbo?! You mean it?!"

Mumbo grinned and leaned forward, pressing their foreheads together as he greedily drunk up the joy of Grian's smile.

"I mean it."

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! If you did, please consider leaving a like and a comment to let me know what you think!