Part 19

(NOTE: this chapter takes place about 2 weeks after the last one :) )

"Ladybug-!" Chat half groaned, half shouted over the loud crashing as he shot up on his baton, "we need to talk!"

Ladybug rolled her eyes and gave a tug of her yo-yo, which was tightly wrapped around the ankles of an akuma attack.  "I've already told you: I'm not interested in what you have to say!" She responded in the same volume. "Now is the exact worst time to talk about this - can't you see what's going on?"

Mme Vintage was a forty-ish year old woman who ran a vintage and collectibles shop downtown, but lately she started getting less costumers than usual after the vintage aesthetic started to die out. She was someone to proudly state how "she was born in the wrong generation", and was strongly against new gadgets like touch-screen phones or digital cameras.

"Curse you!" Mme Vintage cried as she tripped and fell to the ground, getting tangled in the yo-yo wire. "How can't you see that the older generations are more cultured and beautiful than the things you youngsters use now?!"

Ladybug shook her head and rolled her eyes once again. She wasn't in the mood to amuse the akuma victims; it was more of a 'get in, get the job done' day.

"The akuma's in here," she coldly said and threw a hairclip to Chat.

The usual act followed: Chat activating his power, the akuma victim and the people she old-ified being confused after transforming back, and then both of the heroes attending to them all.

Chat grabbed Ladybug's wrist before she could turn around and leap away. "Ladybug. Hear me out. We really need to talk."

"Fine." She eventually huffed and snatched her wrist back. "Tonight. At eight o'clock. Be any later than five minutes and I'm leaving."

With that, she left Chat standing in the street.

__

"Don't you think you're going a little harsh on him, Marinette?"

Marinette, who had her face stuffed into a pillow, looked up to see Tikki hovering above her.

"You heard what Chat- Adrien- said. I think he's getting what he deserves."

Tikki bit at what could be called her bottom lip. "Mari, I tried to tell you this a while ago but.. I think something's up with Adrien."

"You think?" Marinette snorted and rolled on her side. "Everyone's noticed that recently he's been a huge b-"

"No, not like that. I think.." Tikki looked around quickly, "I think it has to do with Gabriel."

Marinette sat right-up, a concerned look on her face. "Gabriel? His father? Sure, he's always been cold, and.. I guess he could've said something to Adrien that put him in a bad mood but.."

"No, no- when I flew past the Agresté household once, I felt a strong sense that.. there was a kwami. And that was most likely Plagg- we have a natural attraction to eachother, being opposites and all- but it felt like there was more. Not even one more. It felt like dozens."

"Dozens?!" Marinette squawked.

"Dozens." Tikke repeated herself. "I don't want to make an assumption, but it felt.. like they were in trouble."

Marinette crossed her legs and nodded for Tikki to continue.

"Do you know what this means? All of the signs are there, Marinette. The kwami senses, Adrien for some reason not having any recollection of what he said to you."

"..Gabriel. He's.." Marinette lowered her voice. "Hawkmoth?!"

"I have a dreading feeling that yes, he is. And I think I know why Adrien said those things." Tikki took a breath. "Like I said, I don't want to make assumptions.. but if Gabriel is who we think he is, there could be some kind of... mind control. The only way I can imagine him pulling this off is by akumatizing someone, and giving them the power to control people."

"But who would want to control Adrien to be mean to me? No random civilian would-" Marinette's face dropped.

"Nathalie." Tikki sighed. "Which means that they know Adrien is Chat Noir. And that they somehow know who you are."

Marinette's heart felt like it was about to beat out of her chest. "I need to talk to him. Now."

"But you said at eight-"

"I'll message him, this is urgent." Marinette frantically typed out "this is important, please meet me as soon as possible!" to Adrien, albeit with a few more typos from the fast typing speed.

"Tikki, spots on."

_______

Whoo, long chapter today! Stay safe everyone!