Chapter Thirty: Just Another Ordinary Conversation (March 1, 2014)

"She said 'nigga'!" River said mockingly as she and Lidiya, Amanda, and Anima walked towards Lidiya's house.

     Amanda and Lidiya laughed uncomfortably; Anima just straight up laughed. What kind of white girl would say such a word?

     "Hey, we're back!" Lidiya called out as soon as she and her friends walked into the house.

     "We're in the den!" Mr. Utano called back out.

     Lidiya and her friends walked into the den, which had dark maroon walls and a wooden caramel floor. In that room was a comfortable-looking blueish gray couch with Mr. Utano sitting on it with Mr. Yoshida cuddling up on top of him. Also on that same couch was Akira, who had been playing with the soles of his sneakers. "What's up?"

     "You know about Eurovision being held in Copenhagen this year?" Mr. Utano asked Lidiya.

     "...Yeah, why?"

     "I got two tickets, and-"

     "Oh my God! You're serious?!" Lidiya shouted. She grinned from ear to ear, her white teeth brightening up the entire room. "Oh my God! Thank you so much! I can't believe tha-"

     "Hold up," Mr. Utano said, "I'm not finished yet. I was just saying that I got two tickets and that if you manage to get C's and above without getting into trouble, I'll let you go with me. You think you can do that?"

     "Oh, yeah. Yeah, I can do that."

     "Alright, it's on." Mr. Utano and his daughter shook hands as Lidiya plopped down onto the floor next to the couch.

     "Wait, what about Mr. Yoshida and Akira?" Amanda asked.

     "I'm not going," Mr. Yoshida said.

     "Am I going?" Akira asked his father.

     "No," Mr. Yoshida answered, "Not until you do your schoolwork and stop getting into trouble at school."

     Everyone sat around silently in the den for a good while before River asked, "You guys hear about the woods in October?"

     Amanda and Anima looked at each other while Lidiya rolled her eyes.

     "What happened?" Mr. Utano asked with a slight sigh.

     "There were these two seniors in the woods over there just straight up fucking each other, and they were fucked up on booze and purple haze!" River exclaimed.

     "Purple haze?" Mr. Utano said, "You mean, like, in the Jimi Hendrix song?"

     "Yes!" River shouted, "Thank you! I seriously thought I was the only one who knew about this song's existence!"

     Mr. Yoshida stared at River for what seemed like hours and hours until he finally stated, "I don't think purple haze makes you high enough to have that kind of sex."

     River looked up. "What you mean by that?"

     "Weed does fuck all to make you want to have sex with someone, especially out in the public like that. Alcohol, maybe. But not weed. They must've been doing meth or some shit like that."

     "How do you know that?" Akira asked.

     Mr. Yoshida looked down at his son and flatly answered-

 Yoshida looked down at his son and flatly answered-