Chapter Forty-Five: Calm After the Storm (May 11, 2014)

Niklas and Marianne were relaxing on the YouChannell Group Home's front porch one peaceful evening, a calm and cooling breeze passing by them with barely any clouds present. It had been a good while since the pair had talked to each other, especially since Niklas had just gotten released from the psychiatric hospital, and the lack of anything happening outside didn't help start a conversation.

     "So... how has things been for you?" Marianne asked awkwardly, resorting to the dreaded small talk.

     Niklas's eyes darted from Marianne to the marble white front door to his own lap. What was supposed to be the most appropriate response he could give? Was he supposed to be honest and burden her even more, or was he supposed to downplay how he was really feeling and say that everything was okay? What about a compromise? People were always saying that compromising was the best action anyone could do in a situation.

     "It's... it's been okay," Niklas said in a sheepish voice, finally glancing back at Marianne, "How was graduation?"

     "Boring- as usual," Marianne replied, "One of your friends Madison came up to me and asked where you were after graduation, and I told her you were in the hospital."

     "What'd she say to that?" Niklas asked, his interest piquing for the first time in forever.

     "She was like, 'Damn, that sucks.', said she was gonna smoke some weed with a couple of people, and fucked off." Marianne huffed through her nostrils and added in a bitter tone, "I didn't see that other girl you hung out with- what was her name again? Clara something...?"

     "Are you talking about the tall white girl with the curly blonde hair?"

     "Yeah, her. I swear to God, I thought I remembered her name correctly. It sounded like Clara or something like that."

     "Oh, Claire Peterson," Niklas answered. He placed his elbows on his knees and added, "I heard she's pregnant with somebody's baby."

     "Why am I not surprised?" Marianne mumbled more to herself. She stared straight into Niklas's bright green eyes and asked, "Honestly, what did you see in those girls?"

     Niklas sighed and crossed his arms against his chest. "I don't know what the fuck I was smoking either to think that those two were worth hanging out with," he replied, rolling his eyes.

     The pair sat silently on the front porch together, watching the stars in the sky, until a girl's voice interrupted the awkward silence by asking, "Hey, is it okay if we sit here with you?"

     Niklas and Marianne looked up and saw Ryan and Sydney standing over them; Sydney was panting and patting her belly. Seeing that encouraged the pair to give the other pair some room.

     "Oi, Nikki! How was rehab?" Ryan asked chipperly as if he was starting a normal conversation.

     "Too soon!" Marianne mouthed harshly while Sydney gave him a dirty look.

     Niklas shrugged. "It was fine," he answered as if rehab was a perfectly normal topic to ask about, "But I was getting pretty tired of having to hear about this one Asian guy talking about his boyfriend. Halfway through, I was like, 'Alright, damn, we get it! You're gay! You don't have to talk about it all the time!'." He turned to Ryan and asked how he and Sydney had been.

     "We've been doing fine," Ryan answered calmly as he stretched his arms, "Right now, we're just waiting for the baby to come."

     Sydney nodded and rubbed her pregnant belly, adding gently-