Chapter Fifteen: The Secret Club Halloween Special (October 31, 2013)

"Juanita?"

     "Here," Courtney answered.

     "Autumn?"

     "Here," Heather answered.

     "Lucila?"

     "I'm here," Cereza answered.

     "Vinter?"

     Axel just rolled his eyes and plopped down onto the playground dirt.

     "Well, I'm Natalie, so I'm here." Summer, who was sitting on a plastic black swing, closed her purple spiral notebook and asked the rest of the Secret Club, "So, what are gonna do about trick-or-treating this year?"

     "Trick-or-treating?" Heather said in a rather disgusted tone, "We're in middle school! Aren't we a little old for that?!"

     "Jesus Christ, Heather. Calm down," Summer reassured, "That's high school you're thinking about. Middle schoolers still trick-or-treat."

     Cereza was secretly relieved because she wasn't really sure if she was ready to give up all that free candy. She even knew what she wanted to dress up as this year, so it was a good thing that her plans weren't cancelled after all...

...

     "What time are we trick-or-treating again?" Siënna asked Katja during dinner. Everyone was having chicken stew, cauliflower tots, and pumpkin pie.

     "I think around six-thirty," Katja answered after swallowing a bite of stew.

     Greg looked at his watch and told Niklas, "Come on. We're going to be late for that hayride for the kindergarten kids." He stood up and pushed his chair in. "Niklas, are you ready to go?"

     "Yeah, hold on a second," Niklas said, pushing his chair back. He stumbled upstairs to his room to gather his shoes and hastily put his coat on. Ever since he got caught drunk and high from weed, he had to do a fuckton of community service and attend group therapy dealing with drug addiction. As for Ryan, well... the less said about him, the better.

     "So Cereza, are you going trick-or-treating this year?" Katja asked as soon as Greg and Niklas left the house.

     Cereza, who had been chewing her tots, nodded. "I even know what I'm going as."

     "What are you going as?" Siënna asked.

     "Sailor Moon!"

     Axel, who had been playing with his stew, asked flatly, "Who the hell is that?"

     "She's the main character from Sailor Moon," Cereza answered condescendingly. When Axel still looked confused, she added, "You'll get it later when I show you."

     Just then, the front door knocked; it turned out to be Summer, Courtney, Heather, and Dante.

     "Hey, Cereza!" Summer, who was dressed up as Rapunzel, explained, "You ready to go?" She peered over in the kitchen and noticed Axel. "Hey, Axel!"

     "Hey, Axel!" Courtney and Heather repeated, waving like dumb bimbos.

     "Hold on a second," Cereza called out, "I need to get dressed."

     Cereaz and Siënna ran into their rooms to change into their costumes. When Cereza finished, she ran back into the living room where she skidded into a screeching halt by Katja standing in the middle of the hallway.

     "Before you leave, Cereza," Katja began, "Who's all taking you guys trick-or-treating?"

     Cereza sighed heavily. "Why does this even matter?"