43: Fancy Dressing

Song: She Is Love

Artist: Parachutes

Fancy Dressing

Simon agreed to not tell anyone what had happened this morning and what we did to him if none of us told my father about him. He was to lose contact with my family the second he stepped out of the room. I trusted him to keep his word. If he didn't, my father would deal with him.

Gabriella left soon after Simon did. We barely exchanged words. Only about this afternoon and the opening which had slipped my mind. Gabriella also mentioned to Julianna that she'd get someone to clean her wounds properly. We barely made eye contact when she left. Simon's words were a void between us. What our fathers had done to the Castillo family made this afternoon irrelevant.

I heard sniffles in the bedroom and slowly approached the doorway. I leaned against the doorframe and watched Julianna. She sat on the bed, arms rested on her knees while she cried. When I walked into the room, she looked up and quickly wiped away her tears. I sat down beside her and opened my arms. She shifted closer and buried her face in the crook of my neck. Her nails dug into my shirt while I rubbed her back.

"Was he really going to kill me?" Julianna looked up at me. Her eyes glossy and lips trembled. When I didn't reply and only reached up to wipe away a tear, she shut her eyes and nodded. "You came just in time, you know? We heard you two by the door. I was about to call out to you when he... covered my mouth and knocked me out. Almost escaped if it weren't for you.

"Baby, you saved my life. Thank you so much." Julianna reached up and cupped my cheek. She inched closer and pressed her lips against mine. Her shaky breath subsided and pure stillness washed over her. Breakfast still lingered on her lips, mixed with salty tears, but I didn't care. Her touch calmed me. Assured both of us that things would differ from now onwards.

When Julianna pulled away, her hand caressed my cheek. A slight smile appeared and hope, filled her chestnut eyes. I reached up and pushed a single strand out of her face and around her ear. I slowly shook my head and kissed her near her wound.

"Don't need to thank me. I'd do it all over again if I have to make sure you're safe. You hear me?" I kissed her forehead once again, and she nodded. "Always. I love you, Julianna Castillo. Nothing and no one can and ever will get between us. Not again, and not ever."

Julianna let out a little chuckle and nodded continuously. She brought me closer to her face until our noses brushed. Her soft lips soared down my cheek and kissed the corner of my mouth. "I love you too, Adam."

I wanted to kiss her again. Heck, I wanted to do more than kiss rather than go to a stupid opening. Yet there was a knock on the door. Julianna pulled away, and I stood up to go see who it was.

Gabriella sent a woman who held a huge first aid kit in one hand and makeup bags in the other. She greeted me briefly. Said she worked at the apartments and was one of the makeup artists for today's opening. Since Gabriella didn't need so many, she came here.

I invited her inside, and Julianna came into the main room. A slight gasp left the woman's lips at Julianna's struck appearance. Yet she said nothing about it. Only to have a shower while she set up. When Julianna left the room, I helped the woman join the kitchen table and coffee table. The sofa was back in its place with everything else tidied up. I asked her not to mention this to anyone. She nodded and said Gabriella told her as well.

The woman had neon orange acrylic nails and pouf hair that shaped her round face. She asked me to retrieve what Julianna would wear this afternoon. I fetched two garment bags from the bedroom closet. Julianna hadn't picked one out yet. The woman eyed the two dresses with inspiration. She told me not to worry and leave Julianna with her while I got ready.