36: One Too Many Drinks

Song: Shouldn't Have Said It

Artist: Julia Michaels 

One Too Many Drinks

Something stirred inside me the rest of the night. That unsettling thought of Gabriella and Mason. I had sex with her not too long ago and now she's hitting on my best friend. Or the other way around, who cared?

Somehow, I did, and I hated it. I huffed down to the kitchen of my apartment on Saturday afternoon. I've been so swamped with work lately that I hadn't had a day off. I warmed a meal in the microwave oven then set the hot package on the coffee table. I grabbed a beer from the fridge then collapsed on the sofa with a sigh. While my food cooled off, I sipped the cold refreshing beer.

My phone was in my hand and it lured me to call Mason. We haven't seen each other since the night of the engagement but we kept our text messages brief. My thumb hovered over his name and without hesitation, I called him. Mason didn't answer straight away and after a few more rings I ended the call. Maybe he was busy.

I put my phone on the coffee table then reached for my food. I flicked through the movies and TV shows on Netflix and found nothing that interested me. I played around the Apple TV and somehow ended up in my photos.

Memories they called it. How ironic Julianna appeared in one of those memories. We were young and in love. Her long brown hair blew in the wind as she forced me to pose for a photo she took on the beach with my phone. The corner of her eyes crinkled as she looked at the camera. Julianna had the most beautiful smile I'd ever seen. Her pearly white teeth surrounded by a dark lipstick that curved her lips.

I looked different compared to now. My hair was shorter, and I didn't seem to care about it back then. There was no beard or stubble on my face—my face was clean and smooth. I had my arms wrapped around Julianna's waist as I kissed her cheek. She had her other around my shoulder.

Julianna dressed in a black one-piece that day. It made her tan skin tone darken to bronze, and I remembered that day. We got sunburnt on Waipio Valley Beach in Hawaii. I took her with me for my eighteenth birthday. It was our first and last trip together alone. Julianna fitted right in with her delightful personality. The people at my father's hotel loved her because she was so kind. I haven't been back since; it scared me they'd ask where she was.

However, now she was Viola Martinez and everything about her had changed. I barely recognized her in Cuba. Her platinum blonde hair and curves. The bodyguards she always had with her. She seemed afraid, but I didn't know if they were for protection or to watch her.

Before I thought further or flicked to other photos, my phone rang. I stared at it from the sofa. It was Mason. When I answered the call, I waited for him to say something. I heard a rustling in the background which made Mason clear his throat.

"Hey man... you called?" Mason asked to which I squinted my eyes. He never usually said that. Normally, when I'd call, and he'd miss it he'say why and instantly start a conversation. Though now he seemed rushed. I listened for a second longer and heard his heavy breath.

"Yeah, I was just wondering if you wanted to come over? Haven't been in the gym for a while and I'm totally charged for a late-night sesh." I said and waited. Mason didn't reply, so I added, "Are you busy?"

"Err... yeah sort of."

"Sort of?" I cleared my throat then let out a chuckle. "It's either you're busy or not... Mase."

"Hi Mister Clarkson." I knew that stern yet alluring voice anywhere. It was Gabriella. Mason muttered something under his breath but I didn't hear it because I was too absorbedin Gabriella's voice.