38: The Ex

Mason paced in the center of my office and mutter things to himself. He resorted to leaving his phone on my desk where I sat so he wouldn't be tempted to look at the photo. If he looked at it once more, he would've punched the closest thing to him.

I sat and watched my best friend while I pressed my phone to my ear. The person on the other end hadn't picked up, and this was the fourth time I've called. I didn't want to send him a text. Maybe he was with my father and knowing him, he'd look over the phone and demand what I wanted.

"Are you and Gabriella together?" I asked while I waited. My fingers tapped the desk impatiently as I wanted to get home as soon as possible. I didn't want to make Julianna wait long.

"I—I don't know. I think so." Mason slowed his walk and looked at his shoes. "I hope so. We've spent a lot of time together recently. Slept at each other's places. Well, I sleep in her office with her since she has a lot of work to do."

"Oh, that sofa bed that she has?" I chuckled. Mason stopped in front of my desk and looked down at me. His thick eyebrows drew together.

"Yeah, how do you know?"

"Err... she mentioned it once."

Mason nodded, but it didn't look like he believed me. He didn't pace again and finally took a seat opposite me. One leg over the other and shoulders back, he ultimately made eye contact again. Mason pointed, and I watched attentively as his index finger bounced.

"You know... the one thing I love about Gabriella is her honesty. I haven't met a woman who's straight up with me. She speaks her mind. Knows what she wants in life and won't let anyone stop her from getting it."

"Mason, what are you getting at?" I ended the call because it looked like the person wouldn't answer.

"Gabriella told me about your encounters together. I thought you'd have the balls to tell me, Adam. It makes me wonder if I should even leave you alone with her."

"Mason, are you even hearing yourself right now?" I tossed my blazer off earlier, so it was easier to maneuver. My back hit the back of the chair with a thud and I sighed. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't think you'd care or that you two would get along so well. Yes, we had our moments, we had sex, but that was it. That's all it ever was. We're business partners, nothing more.

"I'll respect your decision if you don't want me alone with her. You're more than welcomed to come along to future meetings and fly with us to California for the opening later this month."

"Adam, you're my best friend and as much as I appreciate the gesture. I trust you." Mason nodded. His gaze turned to his phone, and he sighed. "I trust Gabriella. I know you two won't disappoint me."

I was about to add onto to that but my phone rang. When I looked down, the person who I tried to call the past twenty minutes, finally called me back. Mason noticed it too. His eyes widened, and he leaned forward in his seat whilst pointing at the phone. I nodded and shooed him away. Mason spoke over me or tried to eavesdrop so he got up and walked to the other end of the room.

"Hello?" Simon's voice muffled on the other end of the line. "Mr. Clarkson, apologies that I couldn't take your call. I was dealing with something."

"Well, I assume your finish with that matter to attend to me now."

"Yes, sir."

"Simon, please could you look into Mr. Renoir Bernard?" When I said his name, Mason huffed and approached the Champagne bottle. No use in celebrating now. Mason pointed at it and looked at me. I waved him off, and he gladly took the bottle and cork opener.