CHAPTER 5

Max's eyes were tirelessly looking for Julie, but she didn't come to school that day, nor for the next two days

He was now getting impatient. He had to make sure she was okay.

Max opened the car door and entered in slowly as if he was dragging his body to do so.

"She didn't come yet?" asked Kevin.

Max's face turned down like a wet weekend.

"Then shouldn't you go to check on her? After all, she is your friend, Max," said Kevin as he kept his left had on Max's shoulder.

His eyes lit up. No matter how hard he tried to stay away from her, Julie still cared about him and so did he.

"You know where her house is?"

"Nope... I mean not exactly, but it won't be much difficult to find. Moonvale's not that big, plus, I know that the Millers live in Glenleche Street," Kevin winked at him.

"What about your work? Won't you get late?"

"Chill Maxie... they won't miss me. Actually, they don't like me much in there. I'll drop you at Julie's and then leave. Keep up your love talks for about two hours, and then I'll be back to pick you up," he winked again.

"That's because you always keep hanging out with me even during your work hours," Max teased, "and also... don't you dare wink at me again! It looks so..."

"Irresistible?" Kevin interrupted as he winked for the third time.

Max punched him on his biceps. "Gross!" he yelled and Kevin started laughing.

In about 15 minutes, they reached Glenleche Street. It had a quaint vibe to it, with old fashioned street lamps standing at regular intervals. The street boasted an entire row of dawn redwoods. Max opened the window to let the delicate floral scent in.

Finding Julie's house wasn't much of a problem. They soon came across a beautiful house, with the name board saying 'The Millers Residence' hung outside. It had a dark brown roof, beige walls, and a very well maintained lawn. Purple orchids lay on both sides of the main door, giving out a warm, welcoming feel. It was a happy house, concealing some terrible memories inside it.

Max got off the car and waved Kevin goodbye. He went towards the door. Hesitating for a moment, he then wrung the bell. An old woman's voice was heard from inside, mumbling something as she came to open the door.

"Yes?" she asked in a flat voice, adjusting her glasses and squinting her eyes at him. She had grey hair, and a skeletonic frame with loose, crinkly skin. She was wearing a long, loose polka dots dress.

"I came to see Julie. She hasn't been coming to school..." he said but the old woman kept staring at him.

"I am Max, Max Wilson," he said suddenly remembering that he didn't even introduce himself.