CHAPTER 16

Max could not sleep that night as he kept swaying on his bed from left to right, looking for the perfect position to sleep peacefully

Max could not sleep that night as he kept swaying on his bed from left to right, looking for the perfect position to sleep peacefully. But there was none to rest his mind. It kept going back to remind him of all that had been happening around him.

He rolled towards the extreme right of his bed and slid down to the floor where he sat with his back taking the support of the bed, and his legs huddled close to his chest as he grabbed them with his hand. His forehead lied on his knees, his eyes tightly shut.

'I don't care!' he screamed in his mind. 'It's all just a nightmare and I just have to wait for it to end soon.' He tried consoling himself but it wasn't that easy. He confidently barged out of the library that day saying that nothing could involve him in any of it if he didn't want to. But at the moment, he wasn't so sure.

Suddenly the thought of Agna came to his mind, 'Siren, was it?' He had this sudden urge to know more about the beasty creature he had seen. 'What if there is more of her type?'

He raised his head and looking out of the window towards the moon, he let out a frustrated sigh at his cluelessness. And for some strange reason, Morgan- who called herself a guide- was not ready to do some actual explanation. He imitated dramatically what she had said- "I'm here just as a guide to show you the path, but you'll have to walk on it yourself." It didn't even make sense to him.

"What path do I take now to find out about the Sirens?"

Julie had mentioned that they were creatures from Greek mythology, so maybe he could find something in the library? But then the thought seemed vague as they were all incomplete and broken into different versions. He needed a more reliable source, but where was he supposed to find one?

Just then, out of the blue, a thought came to his mind that brightened his eyes up. It was as if it had flown along with the wind right through that same window he was looking out of.

"Shane's library," he spoke out in a low whisper, "there must be something!" He had seen similar books there before, books on demons, mythical creatures, magic circles and whatnot. And Shane already seemed to know about the prophecy; he in fact seemed to be studying about it as some sort of preparation. Perhaps he could even help Max better.

But he wasn't going to return until the next day, and Max could not wait. He hopped up and walked out of the door towards Shane's library.

Tiptoeing most of his way to avoid waking anyone up, he strolled down the dark hallway judging his steps by the eyes of his memories. Even then, the wooden floor creaked below his legs in the silence of the night. While passing across Kevin's room, he noticed that the door was left wide open- highly unlikely of Kevin. He quietly entered to check on him, to make sure he was okay.

Kevin lay on his bed, lost into the world of his dreams- or at least that was what Max thought at first. In the silvery blue moonlight falling on his face from the window, he observed Kevin's face and realised that the dream was more of a nightmare. He kept breathing heavily, his eyes tightly shut, and there were some inaudible whispers coming out of his mouth. Max tried listening but it was useless.