CHAPTER 3

Max was still thinking about what happened today

Max was still thinking about what happened today. That mysterious lady in black wasn't the main cause of Max's tension, it was Julie.

Max knew whatever she did was not wrong on her part. Max was too rude to her.

"Did anything happen today?" asked Kevin.

"Nothing to worry about," assured Max as he smiled.

"You are not at all good at telling lies," mocked Kevin, "Now tell me what's wrong."

It was not that Max couldn't hide things, he was quite good at this, but Kevin always understood what he was going through.

"I was thinking about Julie...."

"Isn't she the girl who had been after you since you were in grade 2? I didn't know that you guys are already in a relationship," he teased.

"Yeah," sighed Max.

Kevin's brown eyes widened.

"What? No!!" Max scream when he realized what he had just earlier. He was already blushing.

Max was an attractive guy and the pink tinge, which appeared when he was shy, added to his cuteness.

Kevin couldn't control his laugh. He fell on the bed laughing insanely.

Ding-dong.

It was the house bell. It wasn't an ordinary bell sound, it was much heavy than the usual ones. This gave the house sort of creepy effect.

The exterior of the house was already enough scary to keep strangers away. It was a shadowy, large house that had the look of a haunted mansion from a typical '90s horror movie. Almost everything in the house, along with the flooring, was pure hardwood, giving it a delightfully dingy look.

It was said that the house, along with all antiques it robed under it, had belonged to the Wilson family for more than a century. Multiple paintings of their ancestors hung on the hallway.

"Mom," shouted Kevin, "someone's at the door."

"I can hear that. Why don't you just get up and open the door?" Aunt May yelled back at him from the kitchen.

Aunt May was Kevin's mother and the next person in the house who genuinely cared for Max. She loved Max as much as she loved Kevin.

Kevin turned towards Max with his puppy eyes. Max understood what he meant.

Despite being elder to Max, he was still a child from within.

"Alright, alright, I'll check that out," Max giggled as he jumped off the bed, and went towards the staircase outside his room.

Max looked around to make sure no one was there, and then slid down the stair railing in a blink. He marched towards the door. It was a huge wooden door which made a sad, eerie sound on opening.