x. BUT I WAS WRONG

GARDENIA.
an evergreen flowering plant that typically simbolizes secret love between two people and also joy.

     "are you sure it's alright?"

     the same question filled the comfortable silence you and eren had, your eyebrows furrowed slightly.

     it's been minutes since the two of you walked side by side in the busy street, weaving through the crowd as you struggle to catch up to him. it didn't surprise you that he was walking fast, not because he was tempted to get there, but the fact that his legs were absolutely long. he basically towered over you and if the sun was out from the curtain of clouds, he'd probably be casting a long shadow for you to shade on.

     "y/n, don't worry, it's alright." he would say again, "you're not intruding anything."

     though it wasn't obvious, your repeated question bought a spark of annoyance towards the brown-haired man. he understood why'd you be concerned about the fact he wanted you to come to his mother's grave, but couldn't you just walk still without having to ask him again and again if it was okay?

     you, on the other hand, just wanted to make sure you weren't overstepping any boundaries. before you even knew his name, you were stepping over them way more than you wanted. like a little ballerina dancing along the field of landmines, hopping from one spot to another with no care in the world instead of being careful in case you step on the wrong patch of grass.

     so, you forced yourself to shut up about the same question and feebly follow eren to his mother's grave.

     your patience paid off soon after and you gaped at the view, eyes bright and twinkling.

     the land before you stretched across the horizon with a sea of green grass, with clean pearl tombstones placed gently above the ground as you looked around. tall oak trees surrounded the graveyard, mixed in with different flowers and greeneries to give the place a pop of color. there were few visitors other than you and eren, calmly talking to their loved ones while they leave out the flowers on their tomb.

     not a sight of dirt or trash could be seen within the place, and you were genuinely surprised. most graves you've seen from pictures or movies were depressing and monotone, letting the viewers feel the grief of the characters. you could relate to it somehow, but at the same time, not.

     you didn't expect to see a graveyard so bright and colorful at all. for a place where your loved one is resting eternally, no longer with you, it was peaceful. it brought a huge wave of calmness that enveloped your heart into a warm hug, never letting go.

     this... paradise was a huge contrast to eren's mood. it was bright, lovely, and warm while he was the complete opposite. sadness and grief followed him everywhere he goes, and he allowed it to swallow him up whole.

     you pursed your lips, taking off your attention from the scenery to stare at the back of eren's head. you couldn't help but wonder what was bothering him, eating up his inside until it was nothing but dust.