iii. YOU LOOKED BROKEN

CARNATIONS.
— signifies purity, faith, love, beauty and charity. according to christian legend, they first appeared on earth when virgin mary shed tears over jesus' death, making them a symbol of a mother's undying love.

     why was it raining so much?

     it's just the start of the month of june and yet almost every week, it rains a lot. sure, the flowers were still growing and fresh with the humidity, but that doesn't mean that sunshine wasn't needed in their process of growing too.

     you grew to dislike rain this month, tired of having to venture through your morning in a soaked pavement and cleaning the white tiles of your flower shop every time a new customer steps in.

     sunshine barely comes by even when it wasn't raining, shamelessly hiding behind the dark puffs of smoke at the sky.

     it's been three weeks, and the same brown-haired male kept coming in. he was basically your number one customer if possible, but you never got his name.

     all you know about him was that he had the saddest green eyes, quiet voice that never rose, thin lips that somehow never showed a smile. all of his orders range from calla lilies only, sometimes mixed with the colorful buttercups you recommended him with.

     it was another beautiful, yet cloudy, monday. luckily, it wasn't raining yet and streams of golden sunlight peaked through the window. you were currently fixing the cradle filled with carnations, making sure that no insects were chewing away on its petals.

     you ran a hand through its' red petals before putting your attention on a different flower, the calla lilies you grew accustomed to that sat beautifully next to the crate of carnations.

     what was their meaning again?

     every flower had their own magical meaning and you were always eager to learn them, as it was a way to understand their soul.

     calla lilies were a sign of purity, faithfulness, and holiness. however, there's a different story as well as some often associate the flower with venus, the goddess of love and beauty who was jealous of the flower's beauty. she cursed the flower by putting a large yellow pistil in the middle, thus associating the flower to lust and sexuality.

     you often wonder, why did the brown-haired man choose a calla lily out of all the other pretty flowers? was it someone's favorite? his favorite? was he mourning? was it for a god?

     these were the questions you always ask yourself when a customer buys from you (curse your nosy ass for it), leading you to wonder about each of their hidden story. almost like a mystery you wanted to solve, but obviously couldn't.

     just like last time, the door was pushed open and the fresh store was filled with the melody of the chimes. you look up and a ghost of a smile danced on your lips, the familiar face of the brown-haired male reaching your sight.