vi. WE'RE JUST THE SAME

BELLS OF IRELAND.
said to give good luck.

     it was summer and you were seventeen.

     the blazing ball named the sun danced above you in a mocking manner, treading under its harsh sunlight. your feet wobbled as you made your way to the large backyard slash garden just behind your home, beads of sweat dripping down your forehead.

     in your arms was a crate full of grown bells of ireland planted on the rich soil, its bright green color gleaming and shimmering under the bright sun.

     your mother had always wanted bells of ireland in your garden ever since the move, a beautiful summer plant said to bring good luck. considering she has always been superstitious and believes such things like the language of flowers, your mother bought some grown plants from your local florist to plant in your growing garden.

     it was one of the things she looked forward to after breaking free from the shackles of her toxic marriage. your 'father' was now gone from your life since last month and each day, you and your mother had been healing.

     although you were never a big plant or flower lover such as your mom, it was one of the activities that the two of you do to spend time with each other.

     it was painful to leave the plants that both of you took care of in your old home, but your mother had convinced both you and herself that it was a chance to start anew away from all negativity.

      "mom?" you called out, your voice soft as to not disturb her in case she was doing something.

     your arms ached as you carried the heavy crate though didn't bother to complain, looking around the large garden just behind your home for any sign of your mom.

     soon enough, you caught her by the side, tending to the roses with a hum as she watered them.

     you smiled and made your way towards her, "mom, the bells of ireland are here. mister erwin and mister levi went to drop them off early, said they'd be gone for the week."

     her smile turned big once she saw the crate, grabbing it from your arms with no struggle. "finally!" she laughed, voice pure of happiness and warmth that it could equate to the summer air.

     "thanks hun! why don't you help me plant these?" she offered, placing the crate on the ground. "though... you might be busy with your friends or school." her voice got lower, a sign that she was using her motherly charms to get you to stay and help her. not that you'd pass up to plant with your mother.

     you shook your head immediately and grabbed the spare gloves you kept by the windowsill of your house, smiling. "i don't have any plans today, mom! i'm free whenever you need me." you chirped out, putting on the gloves before skipping your way towards her.

     she lets out a melodious chuckle, picking up the crate once again. you grabbed the equipment needed before following your mother to the far end, where a free space of soil waits for the bells of ireland.

     the warm air was fresh, clean from any pollution. not even a dust could be seen.

     perks of living far away from the city.

     your abode was situated in a plain land with a large space by the back, specifically asked by your mother who have been planting flowers and plants ever since she was a kid. this was basically a dream come true for her; a garden large enough for her to run about until it turned to a labyrinth.

     the fresh clean air and moist summer air was something to look forward to ever since you moved.

     and who could forget the colorful flowers surrounding you, dancing with the wind as you and your mom spend time together by your backyard?

     you watch your mother stroll through the backyard, the sun grazing her face in a gentle manner. even from afar, her happiness and excitement was as bright as the sun. you often wonder how she can be so gleeful at such an age, but you never chose to judge.

     seeing her happy, with a smile matching the beauty of the flowers, was enough.

     you closed your eyes and took a deep breath, savoring the warmth with a smile gracing your lips. the sun danced on your skin, wrapping you in a tight hug like a crackling fireplace during a cold winter night, giving your s/c a golden glow and keeping you warm.

     it was the life you wanted and loved, something you've been hoping for ever since.

     and yet, when you opened your eyes, the warm sun was replaced with the cold breeze paired with the heavy cries of the sky. you were no longer in your backyard, no longer with your mom, nor were you surrounded with the comfort of the colorful flowers.

     everything drastically changed that day.

     your mother's grave silently sat on the ground, words of love and beauty engraved on the marble stone. 

     the graveyard was empty, monochrome in color with no ray of sun seeping through the ground. even the flowers that adorned the other gravestones had wilted away, losing its bright color.

     it was bitterly cold. raining.

     more importantly, you felt numb.

     an empty shallow shell.

     all the pain that stabbed your heart to hell and back, you got used to after days of crying it out.

     you had lost your mother, on the same week the bells of ireland were starting to multiply and grow.

     a plant said to give good luck.