ix. YOU'D STAY THE SAME

GLADIOLUS.
sometimes called the 'sword lily'. they are named after the latin word "gladius", meaning sword. because of their association with gladiators, the gladiolus flower meaning is strength and integrity.

     what a slow day.

     it was a week after eren visited you for the first time in months. ever since you told him about your mother's death, he had vanished from thin air.

     zeke didn't show up as well, so you were curious about both of their whereabouts.

     did you scare him off?

     maybe he'll show up soon.

     maybe not.

     that thought alone made you worry and overthink. maybe you did scare him off... your words probably overwhelmed him. he was still grieving and yet you, a person barely his acquaintance, decided to drop a heavy bomb on him.

     you were starting to regret it now.

     keeping in a groan, you glanced at the clock propped up against the wall.

     two more hours before closing time. i guess i just have to be patient, you thought in disgust. nonetheless, you laid back against your seat and decided to take the chance of silence as a time to relax your overthinking brain.

     you glanced at the outside world for a brief moment, taking note of the dark sky. it wasn't raining yet, but the color of the puffy clouds were enough to bring down your mood even further.

     "i shouldn't mope..." you pursed your lips together before shuffling through the drawers by the counter, "now where's that book i'm reading? god, i need to finish it."

     the ring of the chimes surprised you more than you wanted to admit, almost falling off your chair. you looked up and the annoyed expression you wore minutes ago melted away into a soft smile.

     "eren... you're back," you said with a sigh of relief, "i thought i scared you off..."

     the brown-haired man raised an eyebrow when you stood up properly and acted like nothing happened moments prior. he made his way to the counter with slow strides, dressed in a black hoodie with an olive green shirt underneath and a pair of sweatpants.

     "sorry, i was just," he let out a deep sigh once he was in front of you, "contemplating things... everything you said before really stuck to me."

     you gulped at this and awkwardly scratched the back of your nape, "oh dear, that wasn't my intention--"

     eren shook his head, "no, no, it's okay! i was just surprised. uhm, is it possible if i can order the usual?"

     "of course! please wait a minute."

     the silence between the two of you was surprisingly peaceful and calming, no sign of tension or awkwardness as you carefully arrange the calla lilies into perfection.