CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

Although the man faces away from me, I recognize that profile immediately. As if sensing my gaze, his head snaps up and we make eye contact in the reflection of the seashell-embellished mirror that adorns the entire wall behind the reception. I pause as we momentarily stare at one another, the tension breaks when he finally drops his gaze and turns in my direction.

"Charlotte," he says with a nod of acknowledgment.

"Ethan," I return, mimicking his detached tone.

"You already know each other?" Kai questions as he rounds the counter and takes his place behind the reception.

"We do," Ethan answers as he notices the distance I place between us when I finally join him.

"Excellent! Charlotte can I please have your passport?"

My friendly smile at Kai drops to a glower when I turn to Ethan. He shifts closer beside me with a devilish smirk while I seethe. Disregarding my feelings and his presence, I rummage around my handbag. Finally finding my passport, I hand it to Kai and give him my undivided attention as he begins to log things into the computer before him. It takes precisely five seconds for me to find Ethan's reflection in that damned mirror. With his head turned in my direction, I watch him covertly as he surveys me with a calculated stare. His eyes travel from my beige flats, up to my wrinkled mess of a white sundress, and finally to my humidity-induced frizz. Feeling self-conscious at his inspection, I attempt to brush my wild curls behind my ear.

Ethan had to be the person I bump into while looking like a hot mess. Resembling an Abercrombie & Fitch model with his chino shorts and a white linen button-up shirt, it's evident that the hours of travel have not affected him at all. My appreciation of his broad chest is abruptly disrupted by the exaggerated sound of him clearing his throat. My breath hitches when my eyes find his in the mirror. Ignoring my embarrassment at being caught staring, I roll my eyes at his smug smile. The arrogant wink I get in response has a fresh surge of anger course through my veins.

Kai's voice interrupts our silent moment, "you are officially checked in. Here is your key." He gestures to the side door on his left, "I will take you both to your villas now."

I shift my attention from the mirror to the counter where I retrieve my key and grip it with more force than necessary. Ethan and I convey our gratitude and follow Kai outside. I place my focus in the far distance in an attempt to ignore the presence behind me. Animated by the warm glow of the retreating sun, the bank of the ocean is lined with several sun loungers. Waiting for us on the off-white path is a golf cart with our luggage in the back.

"Take a seat," Kai says as he takes the driver's position.

I slide into the seat behind him and silently pray that Ethan got lost on the way. My prayer goes unanswered when he takes the seat next to me. Facing in the opposite direction, I do my very best to dismiss his closeness. The heat that radiates from him has my heart beating hard. As soon as we are off this thing, my plan to avoid this insufferable man at all costs will be put into motion.

My self-assurance fades with the jolting start of the golf cart. I fall into Ethan's side and am completely unprepared for the current that envelopes my body at the contact. I don't know if Ethan felt it. I mean, I hope he didn't. Ignoring the unexpected pang at the realization that his body may no longer react to mine like it once did, I shift away from him. Reminding myself to breathe, I force my attention on the passing greenery.

Ethan is the first to break the awkward silence, "this next week should be fun."

"It will be," I say without looking at him.

"This place is really beautiful," he continues.

"It is," I respond curtly.

"It's a shame Paul isn't here to see it."