Chapter 9 - Dinner

Before Julia even gets to the kitchen she can smell the chicken frying, and it's smells delicious. As she enters the kitchen Smurf is stirring something on the stovetop, and Catherine is cutting up veggies for the tossed salad in a large bowl in front of her.

"Oh hey Cath I didn't know you were still here. " turning to Smurf,

"what can I do, where can I help?"

Smurf looks up, "Hey, baby, you want to come stir this, so I can drain the pasta?"

Julia complies and now realizes that what she was stirring was the cheese sauce for Smurf's homemade macaroni and cheese, her stomach growls quietly. It is one of her favorite dinners, then she spies the cupcakes on the dining room table and her stomach drops. Smurf is up to something, why else would she have fixed all her favorite foods for dinner. Taking a deep breath she decides she will pretend that she notice the menu and turned her attention back to Cath, who has finished the salad and has taken a seat at the counter.

"So Cath did you parents come home?"

Catherine looks up meekly, "Well, I'm not sure, I went by the house today and someone has been there, not sure it was my parents or not, I mean if they came home, shouldn't they have called me... I mean I'm their daughter, shouldn't they care where I am..."

Smurf shuts the refrigerator and walks around the counter and puts her hand on Cath's shoulder. "I know they are your parents but the junkie in them is too much, they might not even realize you weren't home, it's so sad. You know you are welcome here as long as you want, baby. I know Andrew is happy you are around." Turning back to Julia, "baby can you bring that sauce over here." Motioning to a trivet on the countertop, she finishes assembling the macaroni and sends the girls to set the table.

When the table is set and the food is ready in true Cody boy fashion her brothers, Pope, Baz and Craig arrive in the kitchen.

Julia rolls her eyes at them "thanks for helping with dinner boys."

They all take their seats, Smurf looks around the table, her gaze stops on Craig "Craig baby, where's your brother?"

He looks up from he plate, finishes chewing, "I don't know Smurf, I brought him home from the beach, he helped me unload all the boards and I haven't seen him since. It wasn't my turn to watch him." Digging back into his food.

"Baby, it's always your job to watch him. He's family, and we look after family, now go find Deran." The ice in Smurf's voice could easily drop the temperature 9 degrees. Craig drops his fork loudly on his plate and pushes his chair back with a little more force than needed,

"Fine Smurf I will find the little brat, but why don't you ever make Baz or Pope go find him, hell Julia could find him as easily as I could Damnit." The look he gets from Smurf is chilling, as he heads down the hallway towards Deran's room. Julia feels sorry for Craig, she starts to scoot her chair back, intending on helping her brother find Deran, when Smurf's gaze snaps to hers.

"Julia, stay put, this is on Craig"

They continue eating in silence, they can hear Craig roaming around the house calling Deran's name, he crosses the pool deck outside the windows and enters the garage. He walks back inside, throws up his arms, "his bike isn't here, so I don't know Smurf he's not here." He sits back down.

Julia pulls her phone out of her pocket and fires off a quick text.

"Don't worry Craig, I'll find him."

Her phone quickly dings, "he's at chair 5, and he said tell Craig to get here 911."

Smurf looks up, Craig is still shoveling food in his mouth, "you heard her, Boys go get your brother. Now."

The boys all get up and quickly exit through the garage.

**hope y'all are enjoying my story, I'm having a blast writing it and have a definite endgame, but it's funny that route has changed several times.  Keep enjoying and if you like it leave a comment and a vote. Thanks - K