We Go Together

Chapter Fourteen: We Go Together

- Claire’s P.O.V. –

After Jaime comforted me the day my parents left, everything had been fine between us. We’d ended up at his place for dinner with Rian and Alex coming over. Jack and Zack were working on something for their music piece which was due this week. I was looking forward to finally presenting my piece as it was coming along well. I’d told them about what had happened with my parents and Rian had told me that one of the girls who worked with him had quit today and they were desperate for someone to cover her. I’d immediately volunteered, knowing my parents would probably cut me off once they settled in back home.

The next week of school went well, with all of us excited to present our music pieces and then beginning to prepare for Christmas. I got to help the Fuentes set up their Christmas tree, having gone to catch up with Vic by myself. It had been a while since we’d hung out by ourselves since Jaime and I were spending so much time together. It was good to have some time away from Jaime but I soon found myself missing him. I couldn’t understand it; I’d never wanted to spend so much time with someone before. I hoped I wasn’t getting annoying. The last thing I wanted to do was push him away.

---

I settled into one of the Fuentes couches next to Jaime with a plate in my hand. I’d had my first shift with Rian today and we were celebrating that and completing our music pieces with pizza at Vic and Mike’s house. Jaime shifted so his plate was on the arm of the couch and one of his arms came up to sit along the back of the couch, practically around my shoulders as I was leaning against the back of the couch. I’d noticed Jaime do this a couple of times now. It was similar to what Alex, who was sitting across from us, did whenever Jack sat next to him. No one had said anything about it so I assumed they either hadn’t noticed or were plotting to find out what it meant.

“So, what’s the plan for my birthday?” Mike asked.

“Your birthday’s soon?” I said, feeling excited. I loved people’s birthdays, even though I wasn’t overly keen on parties. Mike nodded and my face split into a grin. I turned to Jaime, my hand lightly gripping just above his knee. “We’ll have to go shopping!” Jaime nodded before glancing down to where my hand sat. I then noticed it myself and moved my hand away. There was a small, awkward moment before Mike spoke again.

“I’m thinking a party. I know the weather probably won’t be great but we’ll get the heaters going under the Bali hut and if there’s music people will dance so they’ll get warm. Is everyone cool with that?” We all nodded and Mike turned to Jenna. She’d been cheering up quite a bit the past two weeks or so, which I was glad of. I didn’t like my friends being sad. “I want to invite Kellin,” he said to her.

“Mike, you can’t-” Vic began but Mike shot him a look telling him to shut up. Jenna impassively looked at Mike.

“I know things are weird between you two but he is my friend and I’d like to celebrate with him there,” Jenna looked down thoughtfully but I was frozen. Kellin’s conversation with me the Monday after I’d been in hospital was running through my head. What would happen at the party? I’d had minimal interaction with him since then; I don’t think anyone really invited him to these get togethers anymore. Panic began to stir in my chest and I took a deep breath.

“Mike, it’s your birthday so you invite who you want. I’ll still attend - it’s not like I can avoid him for the rest of my life,” Jenna replied. The panic increased and I took another breath.

“Claire, you okay?” Alex asked from across the room. I felt Jaime’s hand on my back as I nodded, sliding my plate onto the table. My appetite had vanished; I didn’t want to see Kellin. He had messed with my head and I’d had no luck figuring out what he meant. I settled back into the couch, almost pressing against Jaime. I felt myself calm down slowly as conversation resumed. Mike said the party would be on his actual birthday which was next Friday. Excitement and nerves bubbled in my stomach; I focused on the excitement, hoping everything would go well.