The Smiles You Fake, The Steps You Take

Author Note: Sorry for the late update, I have been super busy with school stuff the past couple of days. I hope you're enjoying the story! xx

Chapter Four: The Smiles You Fake, The Steps You Take

- Claire’s P.O.V. –

I checked my phone for the fifth time to make sure I had the right house; Vic had texted me his address and since I was still new to the area I was a little concerned about getting lost and knocking at the wrong house. Thankfully, the guys were all hanging out in the garage of the Fuentes’ house and I put my phone away, walking up the drive. Vic and Mike lived in a good neighbourhood; their house was definitely bigger than my apartment.

“Claire!” Jaime said, rushing over to hug me. Lindsey was already there and she rolled her eyes as Jaime pulled away from me. Vic, Mike and Tony all hugged me too. Alex and Jack were already here and they waved from one of the couches that were in the garage. Last night, before Tony had left, he and I had chatted properly for the first time and he’d admitted that sometimes he felt like Alex and I did anxiety wise but had never done anything about it, assuming that it was normal. I assured him that I was always there to talk and would help him if he ever wanted to do something more. Tony smiled thankfully at me when he pulled away from our hug.

“Come inside, Claire. I want to show you our studio and introduce you to my dad,” Vic said, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the door that provided internal access to the house. I pulled my hand away but continued to follow Vic inside. He led me through their lovely house to a room at the back. I could see through the sliding doors to a pool and a Bali hut.

“You have an awesome house,” I said and Vic smiled at me with gratitude. He opened the door to what I assumed was the studio. We entered to see an older man, strumming on a guitar. Other guitars lined the walls and there was a drum kit in one corner. There were a few seats in the room too.

“Dad, this is Claire. Claire, this is my dad, known as Papa Fuentes,” Vic introduced us. I smiled and Papa Fuentes waved to me.

“So you’re the young lady that’s had these boys in a spin,” he said with a chuckle. I looked to Vic who rubbed the back of his neck. “Vic tells me you play guitar,” Papa Fuentes went on. I nodded, feeling more comfortable with this conversation.

“I haven’t played very long – I’m nowhere near as good as Vic or Jaime,” I said with a smile to Vic.

“You do very well. You need to have more faith in yourself,” Vic told me. I rolled my eyes at him.

“I’d be happy to help you out – I know you all have some big music assignment during this year. The boys are bound to ask for my help too,” Papa Fuentes chuckled again and I smiled.

“Thank you – I might take you up on that offer,” Vic’s father and I shook hands and Vic lead me back through the house, saying that Jaime might get worried about us being gone so long. I rolled my eyes at him again.

“You know we’re just mucking around, right? Like when we tease Lindsey about being in love with Jaime,” Vic said, nudging my arm. I nodded, nudging him back as we re-entered the garage. Jaime, Tony and Mike were playing while Alex sung. Vic immediately made the joke of them replacing him and soon the boys were talking about what would happen if both bands made it, some day.

Lindsey was cold towards me all night, as she had been every time we’d been in same space; she was even distant towards Jaime even though I don’t think he realised. I kept away from Lindsey, chatting with Alex, Jenna and Jack for much of the evening while Jaime, Vic, Mike and Tony jammed.