I'm Gunna Break Down These Walls I Built Inside Myself

Chapter Two: I’m Gunna Break Down These Walls I Built Inside Myself

I woke the next morning with the sun streaming in on me and my phone on the floor beside me. My TV must have turned itself off during the night because it was blank now. My phone said there were 5 unread messages so I quickly opened it and read them, basically with one eye open.

Sender: Vic Fuentes

This is probs weird but just want to make sure you got home safely? :)

Sender: Jaime Preciado

Have spoken with everyone and they’re keen for drinks and dinner tomorrow. I’ll call tomorrow to give you the details, if you still want to come :)

Sender: Vic Fuentes

I know I’m still being weird but you did get home okay, right?

Sender: Mike Fuentes

Sorry if Vic is annoying you – he’s always been the protective, older brother type though :p

Sender: Tony Perry

We’re all a smidge worried. You did get home okay, didn’t you? Now that I think of it, you’re probably asleep. Just let us know, okay?

I smiled at all of the messages, feeling warmth spreading through me. These guys really seemed to care. I liked it. I sent a joint message to Vic, Mike and Tony telling them that I’d got home safely and crashed on the couch immediately. Then I messaged Jaime the same thing but told him to call once he was able. Maybe I hadn’t made as big of a fool of myself as I thought I did.

I slowly made my way through my small apartment – the lounge was only tiny, able to fit one couch, a small coffee table and my TV unit. It led almost immediately to the kitchen which was only slightly bigger than the lounge. The floor was linoleum and the cupboards had that plastic-wood look to them. I had a small breakfast table with four seats around it, instead of seats at the bench. I flicked on the kettle, before moving around the small room to make my coffee. The kitchen and lounge went into a short hallway which led to my bedroom and the bathroom. My phone began to vibrate on the bench and I spun to pick it up, running my fingers through my fringe.

“Hello?” I said, not even bothering to see who was calling.

“Claire? It’s Jaime,” he said and I smiled as my kettle clicked off.

“Good morning,” I said, still moving around the kitchen.

“Oh, my god, Vic – Vic, stop. Oh, my god. Claire, you got home okay didn’t you?” he said as I heard a commotion at the other end.

“Yes, I did. I messaged Vic too,” I said while Jaime made a sound that implied he was rolling his eyes.

“Idiot didn’t check his phone,” Jaime muttered as there was a sound of triumph from Vic in the background.

“What’s up, Jaime?” I asked, stirring my coffee.

“Uh, tonight. Basically, same as last night except you get to mine first. Everyone knows about the anxiety – is that okay?” he said, his voice suddenly really concerned.

“Yeah. It’s easier if everyone knows about that,” I said, even though I felt a little bit off at the thought of strangers knowing. I knew they wouldn’t be strangers for long though.

“Okay… anyway, just come round to mine about 4. Everyone will come round at different times – with the Vic, Mike and Tony getting here first. We’ll order some pizza, maybe play some tunes. There might be a few drinks had but no one will be getting smashed. None of us are that into drinking, except maybe Kellin,” Jaime explained with me agreeing with the plan. It was as he said “except maybe Kellin” that I realised who Kellin was.