Let's start over

"You don't belong at this school, Mudblood" I spat coldly to the little first year Gryffindor in front of me.

I felt bad, yes but he had run into me. So I justified it with that, not necessarily a good justification but all the same the one I chose. All of the sudden I felt a strong hand grab the back of my robes. I was jerked backwards and inches away from the angry green eyes of Harry Potter.

"What the hell was that?" He said, using the collar of my robes to push me further into the wall.

I stayed silent, the little Gryffindor was running away scared. Not many people had seen Harry like this. I had, multiple times in fact.

Before he let me go I knew what was coming, I felt his fist connect with my face. A sharp pain shot throughout my face and held at a steady throb on my lip. It was followed by the all too familiar feeling of hot blood dripping down my chin.

I didn't fight back. That just made it worse. I slid down to the floor ignoring Harry. I curled into myself, I gripped the shoulders of my robes wrapping my arms around myself protectively. It was like a hug but a sad lonely hug at best.

The fire in Harry's eyes fizzled out. I wasn't sure if it was good or bad so I froze waiting to see what he would do. He shocked me when he knelt down next to me.

"Malfoy?"

Was that concern in his voice? Harry had never spoken to me in any tones besides disgust, anger and hate. He placed his hand gently on my shoulder "Malfoy?"

I couldn't hold it back, it had skipped concern and jumped straight to worry. I could hear the worry in his voice now, the same voice I had only ever received sharp words from. That undid me, all restraint I had left and my body rattled with sobs. I hadn't cried like this in a long time.

Harry pulled me into a rather awkward hug. I clung to him like my life depended on it. Harry didn't seem to know what to do, for being the savior he wasn't good with emotions. He rubbed my back in an attempt to help.

After a moment he spoke, "What's wrong Malfoy? Are you okay?"

I stayed silent for a moment. I debated whether or not to tell him what was actually wrong.

"i-i hate it h-here." I hiccuped, "But I c-can't go home."

He pulled away something stirring in his head. "What do you mean?"

I cried harder, it felt wrong but also it felt really good. He pulled me in again.

A small second year Ravenclaw walked by and didn't even look in our direction, she knew better.

When I started crying harder Harry tensed up and inhaled sharply.

"Malfoy lets go to the room of requirements and talk."

I nodded and he supported me as I stood. I was shaking like a leaf and still crying so the support was appreciated. We walked an unfamiliar route to the ROR. We thankfully saw no one the whole way. Harry paced in front of the door three times and then clicked open the knob.

I realized how stupid I was being, walking into a room with my enemy when my guard is clearly down. But I was overwhelmed and having anyone care about me was good. It didn't matter that it was Harry Potter and that he was going to tell the entire school. If the whole school really turned against me I could always just jump off the astronomy tower.

We got in and sat on the couch the room had provided. It was small, with only a couch, a fireplace and some butterbeer on a small table. Harry sat down and I sat next to him.

"So what's going on Malfoy?"

He looked like he knew already which was definitely making me nervous.

"My dad...my dad he..." Harry's eyes darkened visibly as soon as I said that.

I think it might be better if I show you." I pulled up the back of my shirt to show him the scars and healing wounds from Christmas break. He was speechless yet he didn't seem surprised. I pulled my shirt back down, "he wasn't bad before last year. I got defiant and did what I wanted to, he didn't like that very much. Every little thing would set him off, sometimes he wouldn't talk to me sometimes he would do much worse. His favorites were passive aggressive things. They made me question my own sanity most of the time."

I could feel my eyes start to well up, "Damnit" I said under my breath. I really just spilled all of that to Harry bleeding Potter. Harry wrapped me in a tight hug. That seemed to be the only thing he knew how to do.

"Draco, it's okay to cry and I know how easy bottling things up is but it isn't good."

"I've made it this long the way I am." I replied. I knew how easy it was to shove it under the rug and I had been waiting for years to blow up and come undone.

He glanced down and back up and seemed to think for a minute before letting the silence drag on he responded, "I want to show you something." He hesitated for a moment before he pulled up his sleeve to show his forearms, thin white, pink and red lines covering the length of his arm. After the initial shock wore off I gently grabbed his wrist and ran my fingers up the scars, they made a funky texture on his arm. He shivered and I paused, I had only ever felt the ones on my arms, the thin white ones laced with thick ropey ones from my fathers whip. I didn't think much before pulling my sleeve up to show Harry that he wasn't the only one. He frowned slightly before looking back up into my eyes. "I know how awful this is but I do have to say that I thought I was one of the only ones who was struggling so hard to cope with everything in my life and I know how unhealthy it is to find comfort in your scars but..."

I shushed him, nodding my head, "I understand."

We both stared into each other's eyes for a moment. Before Harry spoke "Honestly Draco, while this is still shitty circumstances to meet on I'm glad we did I think we have a lot in common and i think if we hadn't been brought into the world already pitted against one another I think we would have been wonderful friends. So Draco Malfoy, let's start over."

"The name's Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." I said smiling and reaching my hand out.