I Need The Money

We will rise
Ooooh...

The whole space was silent. Everyone was in awe of the performance. Even the auditionees lined up outside fell into silence. She can be heard right past the building's entrance.

The corners of one screener's eyes were burning by the end of the song. They didn't realize but she actually finished the whole song.

No one remembered to stop her.

The vibration of her voice could still be felt in the audition room.

It was majestic. She showed amazing vocal acrobatics and control – she transitioned smoothly to G#5s while hitting every single note perfectly.

But most importantly, she sang with all of her heart. Her body moved according to the song, every note produced a sway through her hands.

Her emotions were flowing like an endless river toward the audience... This was the most free she has ever felt in a long time.

When they recovered from the weight of the performance, the screeners gave her a loud and long round of applause.

Chanyeol's and Suho's eyes were glistening, like they discovered something brilliant and precious.

Baekhyun and Minseok were silent but they couldn't take their eyes off of her, like their imagination was being played with, that whatever was happening wasn't real. Minseok's mouth gaped, and his eyes shone.

Out of nowhere, Kyungsoo spoke, "Lee Soyoung-ssi, that was great." He said in a heavy voice, a mixture of amazement and sincerity.

"So this is what Chanyeol-a was saying," Baekhyun thought.

"Noona..." Kai was at a loss for words, holding back the tears from his nervousness and happiness at what Soyoung showed.

Sehun's left palm was on his lips. He couldn't figure out what to say, his head nodded involuntarily. It took him to a different high of emotions.

"How is that possible? How could someone like her not want to sing?"

The screeners gave meaningful glances at each other after clapping.

"Alright. Let's proceed to your next song." Kim Mi Ran instructed after silently composing herself.

Soyoung held the mic up and started soft and low.

"Are we really breaking up now?
Or is it just a short break, like we promised
It seems like this is as much as I can take
Why haven't I heard from you

I love you, it's alright even if I have to wait forever
I'll be smiling when you come back to me again

I still can't accept the fact that you were the one who announced our separation
I just want to take your words as it is
What are you doing right now

I love you, it's alright even if I have to wait forever
I'll be smiling when you come back to me again

Right now, even though the sadness and your leaving are settling in slowly
All I can think about is how good it would be if you come back to me
Why do I act so foolishly?
The "time" that you have given me, was just the time to straighten out the distance between us

I'm not upset, because I believe that you'll look for me again
This belief will strengthen my love for you,
And give me the strength to live on..."

She put down her mic as she finished the song.

When she opened her eyes, Kenny Park was already walking towards the screeners with one of their top producers Mark Smith, looking very satisfied.

"Sajangnim." The screeners stood up and bowed to him.

"Finally, someone to get me out of here." She thought.

Kenny Park is Genesis Entertainment's President.

"Wow! I never knew we had such talent here. She's an employee here you say, Chanyeol-a?" Kenny addressed Chanyeol.

"Ne, Seonsaengnim." It took Chanyeol a few seconds to realize Kenny was talking to him. He was still very absorbed in Soyoung's singing.

"Wow. Just wow. Your voice is definitely top-notch. The texture... the tone... the vocal range, everything is exceptional! The control, your vocal dynamics, that, that was crazy!" Mark Smith spoke at the top of his lungs. "What was that, really? Was that real? Did you also see and hear that? That was unbelievable, Kenny!" He turned to President Park.

"We heard the first song when we got off the elevator. Your emotions were raw, it was moving. I don't think these songs could've been sung better." Mark Smith continued.

He turned to Kenny and the screeners. "What do you guys think?"

"I think..." Kim Mi Ran laid her pen on the table. "...we've been waiting for her for so long. We haven't had anyone like her in years, have we?" The very picky head screener talked to Mark Smith and Kenny Park like no one can hear them.

"Where have you been hiding Lee Soyoung-ssi?" Kim Mi Ran turned to her. "How could this girl not be with us by now? They have the best casters in the whole country, how could they not have found her with all their resources?" She thought.

"I'm a very private person," Soyoung answered.

"I guess you are, Lee Soyoung-ssi." Kenny waved the document she filled out halfway. She wasn't able to finish since the screeners had already gone in. "You said here you got training for performing?"

"Yes, but it wasn't with an agency," she said, sounding indifferent.

"And you speak fluent Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, French, and English?" He asked.

She frowned for a split second. She is certain she did not write that information on the paper.

"I had a job that required me to learn languages." She retorted.

Everyone was dumbstruck. She heard a sharp "Waah!" from Kai, Sehun, and Chanyeol.

The screeners' eyebrows were arched in pleasant surprise.

"Can you introduce yourself to us in those languages?" Kenny Park was slightly grinning.

She did so without much blinking.

"Waa! Daebak Noona!" Sehun shouted. And they thought she couldn't give them more surprises.

"You have jobs other than your job here?" Kenny was flipping through the document. That information was not written there as well.

"Ne. I work at a hospital, a university, a restaurant..." she answered casually.

She didn't know what President Kenny Park was planning but she decided to go with the flow.

"You have a lot of jobs, eh?" Kenny pressed.

"I need the money." She almost glared at him. That too, wasn't a lie. There were a lot of people depending on her business.

When she looked at the boys, their eyes were filled with... worry and pity? They must've imagined her running around doing menial jobs. Well, she's been almost literally slaving herself anyway.

"Ok. It says here you also dance and play instruments. Let's see it." Kenny finally sat down beside Kim Mi Ran.

********
Thank you to those who took the time to read this. Thanks as well for those who hit the star button and commented. Your time, votes, and comments mean a lot. I would love to know how you feel about the characters, the story, and just about the whole thing itself.

Also, I want to get to know everyone, I'll ask random questions in the author's notes.

And for a start, what's your favorite color?

Mine is yellow. It just makes me happy and makes me feel light. 🌼🌞🌻

Are you liking President Kenny Park so far? 🧐

The song was "Lost in Love" by Taeyeon and Tiffany sang in Sketchbook. 💛

Baekhyun:

Thanks for reading! ☁️