Chapter 11 ~ "I need him right now"

Sasha

"Sasha, what's going on here?" Alex says as he steps into my room and I press my lips together moving away and standing up.

"Nothing." I say instantly shaking my head.

"You told me you weren't going to get involved with Nate again." He huffs and I shake my head.

"I-I know but, it's just.....you don't understand." I say wringing my hands out.

"I think I'll go." Nate says standing up and I sigh. He couldn't leave now, I needed him here. He was helping me.

"I think that's a good idea." Alex says crossing his arms and I turn back to Nate.

"You don't have to-"

"It's cool." He says quietly. "I'll peel out, let you talk." He leans over to give me a hug. "I'll call you-"

"No you won't." Alex says. "You'd better not or your ass is grass Carter. I'll make sure you don't play all season." Nate nods and slowly slides back out the window. Before I know it, he's gone and I feel a tear run over my cheek.

"Why did you do that?" I ask walking over and closing my door to keep the conversation private.

"Sasha what do you think you're doing?" He asks angrily.

"What do I think I'm doing?" I ask angrily. "I'm enjoying having a friend. You know something most average high schoolers get to have?"

"You and I both know that Nate is not just a friend to you." He says pointedly.

"You're right, he's my best friend." I say and he sighs.

"Oh Sash, he's been out of your life for four years. He's not." He says narrowing his eyes and I roll my own.

"Well then it speaks volumes to my bustling social life that he's still the person I'm closest to, doesn't it." I spit feeling more overwhelmed now than before. 

"Forget hanging out with him or getting an innocent ride to school, you're bringing him into our house?" He asks incredulously and I nod.

"Yes, I am." I say crossing my arms. "Remind me why this is your business?"

"Because I'm your brother and I care about you." He says. "Don't think I don't remember the day you came home in tears because Nate wouldn't talk to you at school."

"We were kids." I say and he rolls his eyes.

"You're still kids!" He says. "He's been picking at you for years and I've been stepping in to save you."

"You and I both know he's never been the instigator of any of it." I say. "It's mostly his friends, he was just trying to fit in."

"So that makes it alright?"

"No, it doesn't make it alright!" I say angrily. "But he's apologized, we've talked it out. What does he have to gain from being my friend again Alex?" I ask. "He wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't serious, there's a good chance he'll lose his other friends too."

"What he wants from you isn't friendship, Sasha." He says and I pull back feeling insulted he'd even suggest something like that.

"I can't believe you." I say shaking my head. "First of all, I can't believe you think I'd just use Nate to sleep with him. When you know full well that sex in general makes me pretty uncomfortable. Second of all, he hasn't done anything to me to make me believe that's what he wants. And even if he does, you don't think I'd have the common sense to turn him down?" I ask harshly and he looks a little upset.